Mechanics. Vectors. Find magnitude and direction of forces

In summary, the task was to find the magnitude and direction of the resultant of two forces, 60 N at 150 degrees and 20 N. Using the cosine and sine rules, the magnitude of the resultant was calculated to be 43.8 N. However, there was confusion regarding the direction of the resultant, with calculations yielding two different angles. After redrawing the graph with the larger force represented by the longer side, the correct angle was found to be 136.8 degrees. This highlights the importance of choosing the correct representation of forces in such problems.
moenste

Homework Statement

Find the magnitude and direction of the resultant of the following pair of forces:
60 N at 150 degrees to 20 N

Answer:
43.8 N at 136.7 degrees to 20 N and 13.3 degrees to 60 N

Homework Equations

Cosine and sine rules:
R2 = a2 + b2 - 2 * a * b * cos A
a / sin A = b / sin b = c / sin c

The Attempt at a Solution

R2 = 602 + 202 - 2 * 60 * 20 * cos 30 = 1921.54
R = 43.8 N

43.8 / sin 30 = 60 / sin X
sin X = 60 sin 30 / 43.8 = 0.68
X = 43.23 degrees or 180 - 43.23 = 136.8 degrees.

From the graph the angle looks definitely like 43.23 degrees and but in the book the answer is 136.8 degrees. My graph looks like
9LXir.png

The CA is 60 N, CD is 20 N. ACD is 150 degrees. CB is R = 43.8. CDB is 30 degrees. BCD according to my answer is 43.2 degrees, but in the book that angle should be 136.8 degrees. Any idea how to get the right answer-angle without a graph? In the book examples they state to look at the graph, and other 3 examples have worked correctly. But in this example doesn't matter how big or small I draw the graph I can't get the BCD angle to look as large as 136.8 degrees. Maybe there is a calculus way to check the right angle out of the 43.2 and 136.8 angles?

P. S. The graph is from the web, but mine looks similar to that one. Here ACD is roughly 135 degrees, not 150 as required.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You may be confusing yourself by choosing AC, the shorter of the two sides, to represent the greater force. Wouldn't it make more sense to swap them over?
Clearly the resultant should have a direction closer to the larger of the two forces. You don't specify which angle X is supposed to represent in the diagram.

Likes moenste
haruspex said:
You may be confusing yourself by choosing AC, the shorter of the two sides, to represent the greater force. Wouldn't it make more sense to swap them over?
Clearly the resultant should have a direction closer to the larger of the two forces. You don't specify which angle X is supposed to represent in the diagram.
Hm, I didn't actually think of the sizes, always used a same size for both forces. I shall try it out on a new graph.

Angle X = 43.2 / 136.8 = BCD.

Update: with the new graph everything works. Thank you.

Last edited:

1. What is mechanics?

Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion, forces, and energy in objects.

2. What are vectors?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude (size) and direction. They are often represented by arrows in diagrams.

3. How do you find the magnitude of a force?

The magnitude of a force can be found by using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude of a vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. In simpler terms, the magnitude of a force can be found by finding the length of the arrow representing the force in a diagram.

4. How do you find the direction of a force?

The direction of a force can be found by using trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions can be used to calculate the angle between the force vector and a reference axis, such as the x-axis or y-axis.

5. How are forces represented in vector form?

Forces are represented in vector form by using a coordinate system, such as the x-y coordinate plane. The magnitude of the force is represented by the length of the vector, and the direction is represented by the angle between the vector and a reference axis.