Mechanism behind solution color change due to pH change

In summary, the solution gradually changes color from colorless to yellowish-green as pH is increased from acidic to basic. The color change is reversible, and likely due to the oxidation of lignins that often accompany cellulose harvested from plant sources.
Baho Ilok
I would like to ask for somebody to point me in the right direction - any literature I could read - regarding the mechanism behind color changes that an organic solution undergoes due to changes in pH. I am not referring to organic indicators or dyes, specifically. I have observed in my experiments that a certain polysaccharide solution is colorless at pH ≤ 6 and gradually turns yellowish-green as pH is increased to 11 at room temperature. I was wondering if there is an explanation for this phenomenon that relates to the compound's structure (i.e. presence of certain functional groups).

Thanks!

Likes John Dalton
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Well there are plenty of types of Polysaccharides. You'll have to be more specific in order for people to give you a good answer.
But I think it is obvious from the basic chemical structure of Polysaccharides with a lot of hydroxyl groups that it is sensitive to higher region of pH.

Likes John Dalton
HAYAO said:
You'll have to be more specific in order for people to give you a good answer.
In my experiments, I use the hemicellulose xylan from corn core. I know of its structure but the mechanism by which its solution changes from colorless to yellowish-green from acidic to basic pH is what I would like to know. Thanks!

Baho Ilok said:
In my experiments, I use the hemicellulose xylan from corn core. I know of its structure but the mechanism by which its solution changes from colorless to yellowish-green from acidic to basic pH is what I would like to know. Thanks!
Okay, is the xylan "pure" xylan? Or are there substituents on it? I don't know what xylan looks like when taken from corn core.

Also, what are you using to change the pH?

1. What causes a solution to change color when the pH is altered?

The change in color is caused by a shift in the concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) in the solution. When the pH is increased or decreased, the concentration of H+ ions changes, which affects the color of the solution.

2. How does pH affect the color of a solution?

The color of a solution is determined by the chemical structure of the compounds in the solution. When the pH changes, the chemical structure can also change, resulting in a different color.

3. Can different compounds have different color changes at the same pH?

Yes, different compounds can have different color changes at the same pH. This is because the chemical structure of each compound is unique and will react differently to changes in pH.

4. What is the relationship between pH and color change?

The relationship between pH and color change is that as the pH changes, the color of the solution also changes. This is because the pH directly affects the chemical structure of the compounds in the solution, which determines the color.

5. Is there a specific pH range where color change is most noticeable?

Yes, there is a specific pH range where color change is most noticeable. This range is typically between pH 4-10, as these values are closer to neutral and the change in H+ concentration is more significant compared to highly acidic or basic solutions.