Mechanism of reflection at the atomic scale

In summary: It has to do with the electrons being able to move freely through the metal. When light hits the metal, some of the light is reflected and some is transmitted. The light that is reflected is called specular reflection and the light that is transmitted is called diffuse reflection.
tom421421
Hi,

I'm currently looking into reflectivity and emissivity of metals in sunlight. However, I can't quite grasp how the mechanisms of reflection and emission differ. Emission obviously occurs because an electron is exited by a photon and then is de-excited and emits photon or photons. However I don't see how reflection is different when looked at on the atomic scale?

Anyway if anyone has an explanation please let me know!

Cheers

Science news on Phys.org
Reflection doesn't happen at the atomic scale. Optical light has wavelengths much much larger than an atom. For radiation that is down close to the atomic scale you typically get scattering and ionization, not reflection. It doesn't make sense to me to talk about reflection at the atomic scale because for reflection to occur you need a smooth surface and no surface is smooth at the atomic scale.

metals reflect because they are conductors

granpa said:
metals reflect because they are conductors
Why do conductors reflect?

tom421421 said:
Emission obviously occurs because an electron is exited by a photon and then is de-excited and emits photon or photons. However I don't see how reflection is different when looked at on the atomic scale?
Transitions between quantum stationary states are not the only kind of emission that is possible (consider the continuous spectra of reflections and black body radiation, versus the quantised "atomic" lines). Reflection has to do with polarisability of a material; at the atomic scale it involves a small perturbation of the electron cloud rather than a jump to a completely different orbital shape.

DaleSpam said:
Reflection doesn't happen at the atomic scale.
Would you say that specular reflection, diffuse reflection and scattering are like planets, planetoids and asteroids? (In other words, I think your absolute statement is just defining your terms rather than describing a physical process. Even considering reflection as some emergent/aggregate phenomena, isn't the OP still valid in asking what is going on down to the atomic level within a larger piece of material?)

Artlav said:
Why do conductors reflect?
That is answered in detail in (classical) electrodynamics textbooks.

Last edited:

1. How does reflection occur at the atomic scale?

Reflection at the atomic scale occurs when an incident wave of light strikes the surface of a material and interacts with the atoms on the surface. The atoms absorb the energy of the light wave and re-emit it as a reflected wave, resulting in the phenomenon we observe as reflection.

2. What causes the change in direction of the reflected light?

The change in direction of the reflected light is caused by the interaction between the incident light wave and the atoms on the surface of the material. The atoms absorb and re-emit the light in different directions, resulting in the change in direction of the reflected light.

3. How does the angle of incidence affect reflection at the atomic scale?

The angle of incidence, or the angle at which the incident light wave strikes the surface, affects reflection at the atomic scale by determining the direction and intensity of the reflected light. The angle of incidence also affects the distance the light travels through the material before being reflected, which can impact the overall reflection of the light.

4. What role do the properties of the material play in reflection at the atomic scale?

The properties of the material, such as its density, composition, and surface structure, play a significant role in reflection at the atomic scale. These properties determine how the atoms on the surface interact with the incident light wave and how they re-emit the light, ultimately affecting the overall reflection of the light.

5. Can reflection occur at the atomic scale for all types of waves?

Reflection at the atomic scale can occur for all types of waves, including light waves, sound waves, and even particle waves. However, the specific mechanisms of reflection may vary depending on the type of wave and the properties of the material being reflected off of.