What is the correct mechanism for saponification?

In summary: Questions:1) How's my reasoning?2) Who's right in reality?1) How's my reasoning?2) Who's right in reality?1) How's my reasoning?2) Who's right in reality?1) How's my reasoning?2) Who's right in reality?1) How's my reasoning?2) Who's right in reality?1) How's my reasoning?2) Who's right in reality?In summary, the first mechanism is operative in saponification, but the second mechanism is wrong because it involves the formation of a carboxylic acid in basic conditions.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Problem: I am told that the first mechanism is operative in saponification.

XlFfR.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

However, this strikes me as wrong because the first mechanism involves the formation of dianion. Using hydroxide ion to abstract a proton and make that particular dianion seems like a very uphill process energetically.

The second mechanism, according to her, is wrong because it involves the formation of a carboxylic acid in basic conditions. And acids should never exist in basic solutions.

Er, this seems wrong. First, the acid we're forming isn't the result of some proton abstraction in basic solution. That would be hard - can you imagine abstracting a proton from HO-? Second, the second route seems highly favorable because once you form the -COOH you can deprotonate the -COOH - an energetically favorable move!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your question? Learn it "his" way for purposes of passing the course and the other way for real life later? Which is correct? Which is correct and how to win a debate?

Hit the library, or Morrison & Boyd, or other available sources to satisfy yourself. "Fighting city hall" isn't terribly practical unless you are a skilled diplomat. Take what you find on the internet with many grains of salt. That said, what you've stated looks pretty much like what I remember (hated organic, still do), but confirm it elsewhere. Langauge barrier between prof and students?

Bystander is perfectly right with his advice - my edition of Morrison & Boyd (Polish translation) shows the mechanism for both hydrolysis in acidic and alkaline conditions.

What I don't understand is why your reaction equation doesn't start with an ester as it should - it starts with something that already looks like some kind of intermediate (which can be a hint).

Bystander said:
Your question? Learn it "his" way for purposes of passing the course and the other way for real life later? Which is correct? Which is correct and how to win a debate?

Questions:

1) How's my reasoning?
2) Who's right in reality?

Borek said:
What I don't understand is why your reaction equation doesn't start with an ester as it should - it starts with something that already looks like some kind of intermediate (which can be a hint).

Well, I didn't want to go through the entire mechanism from start to finish since the beginning isn't relevant. It all begins the same way - nucleophilic attack at the carbonyl carbon.

Qube said:
It all begins the same way - nucleophilic attack at the carbonyl carbon.
Qube said:
Using hydroxide ion to abstract a proton and make that particular dianion seems like a very uphill process energetically.
Qube said:
1) How's my reasoning?
2) Who's right in reality?

Reasoning? Looks good, agrees with what I remember.
Correct in fact? Again, I'll buy your argument rather than a dianion/double anion; 8.99 x 109(q1q2)/((.4 to .5 nm)εH2O) ~ 3 x 1026 J/mol to form the double anion if I haven't misplaced too many orders of magnitude.

Seriously, hit the library; check Noller, Morrison & Boyd, and whatever you can find for introductory organic texts until you are satisfied with your reasoning. We can't make you believe in yourself --- that's your department.

Comes back to me I've seen something like that with a δ- on each O atom and two partial double bonds, O---C---O which represents the "tetrahedral intermediate" so maybe it was that with a bit of absentmindedness.

1. What is saponification?

Saponification is a chemical reaction that involves the conversion of fats or oils into soap and glycerol. It is the process used to make traditional soaps by reacting a fatty acid with an alkali, such as sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide.

2. What is the mechanism of saponification?

The mechanism of saponification involves the hydrolysis of an ester bond in a triglyceride molecule. The fatty acids are released from the triglyceride and react with the alkali to form soap molecules and glycerol. This process is also known as alkaline hydrolysis.

3. What is the role of alkali in saponification?

The alkali, usually sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide, acts as a catalyst in the saponification process. It reacts with the fatty acids to form carboxylate salts, which are the soap molecules.

4. What are the factors that affect the rate of saponification?

The rate of saponification can be affected by factors such as temperature, concentration of reactants, and type of fatty acids and alkali used. Higher temperatures and concentrations typically result in a faster reaction, while the type of fatty acid and alkali used can also impact the rate of saponification.

5. What are some applications of saponification?

Saponification is used not only in traditional soap making, but also in the production of other products such as detergents, emulsifiers, and cosmetics. It is also used in the production of biodiesel, where fats and oils are converted into fatty acid methyl esters through a similar saponification reaction.