Medical Grade UPS 3000VA - Meet UL 60601-1 Requirements

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jetach
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Medical
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Jetach
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Hello PF,

After doing much research, I've decided that buying a retail UPS would be a much better idea than building one from scratch even though the cost is higher.

I need to output 2kW for roughly 30 minutes.

I am looking for a 3000 VA UPS that meets medical grade requirements.

I believe that regulation is UL 60601-1, however there may be more things I may be missing.

Any help would be appreciated.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Jetach said:
Hello PF,

After doing much research, I've decided that buying a retail UPS would be a much better idea than building one from scratch even though the cost is higher.

I need to output 2kW for roughly 30 minutes.

I am looking for a 3000 VA UPS that meets medical grade requirements.

I believe that regulation is UL 60601-1, however there may be more things I may be missing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like a good decision. :smile:

What have you found so far via Google? I often will use Google Images for searches like this, to get better results.
 
berkeman said:
Sounds like a good decision. :smile:

What have you found so far via Google? I often will use Google Images for searches like this, to get better results.

So far I've only found one UPS that fits my needs which would be a Tripp Lite

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=748&txtModelID=5440

with a battery it can run 1920 Watts for 40 minutes.

It appears this is the only option available, I called up APC and their customer service didn't appear to know what the UL 60601-1 regulation was.
 
Jetach said:
So far I've only found one UPS that fits my needs which would be a Tripp Lite

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=748&txtModelID=5440

with a battery it can run 1920 Watts for 40 minutes.

It appears this is the only option available, I called up APC and their customer service didn't appear to know what the UL 60601-1 regulation was.

I did a Google Images search on +"60601-1" ups, and got some reasonable looking units from different manufacturers. Maybe try that search to see if the other manufacturers have medical grade units in your power range...
 
In your earlier thread, on 24 June, berkeman wrote, “The pertinent UL standard for medical equipment is UL544”
Just do a Google search using the term “UL 544 ups” and many suitable commercial units and their standards appear.
 
Well, our device in development will be used on patients, and anything coming within 6 feet radius of a patient needs to have UL 60601-1. I believe that UL544 was withdrawn sometime in 2009 and replaced with UL 60601-1. The testing for this is much more stiffer, which is ultimately what gave me the decision to find one in a marketplace.