Medical Physics Career Advice for MS

In summary, the conversation revolves around the poster's interest in pursuing a career in medical physics and seeking advice on the necessary steps to achieve this goal. They have a MS in accelerator physics but are considering studying medical physics and anatomy textbooks to pass the ABMP certification. They are also offered a job as an accelerator physicist but are unsure if it is relevant to a medical physics career. The poster is seeking general advice on entering the medical physics field with a non-medical physics MS. Suggestions are made to contact local hospitals, consider CAMPEP accredited programs, or apply for residency positions.
jdelaute
Sorry if this post appears twice; I couldn't figure out if it actually posted the first time.

I'd really like some career advice about medical physics. I've just finished an M.S. (with thesis) in accelerator physics, my research was about radiation and superconducting magnets.

I'm very interested in entering the medical physics field, but I'm not sure what I need to do that. I'm planning on studying some medical physics and anatomy textbooks and then trying to pass the ABMP certification. Were I to pass, would that certification, along with my accelerator physics MS, be enough to hire me?

Also, I've been offered a job as an accelerator physicist, but I think that I would rather work in medical physics. However, it is a great foot-in-the-door kind of job, so it would be hard for me to turn down. My question here is: is accelerator physics work relevant to a medical physics career? I've noticed that many medical physics jobs would like 2-5 years relevant experience. My job would be building magnets, doing simulations with magnets and radiation, and maintaining various parts of the accelerator.

I don't know a lot yet about med physics in general, so if you have any general advice about going into medical physics with a non-med-physics MS, I'd appreciate that too.

If you'd prefer to email me, I'm delauter.geo@yahoo.com
Thank you,
Jon

Physics news on Phys.org
Your best bet would probably be to contact someone in the radiation oncology or radiology department at your local hospitals. If you can't find a way to do that, human resources should be able to put you in contact. They may even let you go in and follow someone around for a day to see what it is like.

I know I've seen jobs that list accelerator physics as an acceptable degree. As you say, they require experience though. You can't go wrong with accepted the job offer. Afterall, you could always leave :)

Just for an example, here are the requirements listed for the medical physics MS and PhD at Wayne State: http://www.med.wayne.edu/radonc/medphys/ [Broken] click on "courses". That should give you a good idea of what you may need to know to pass a certification.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Along with Wayne State (Michigan), Wright State University (Ohio) also had a program: http://www.wright.edu/academics/biomed/pages/med_physics_eng/med_physics_eng.htm
I think they are getting to be more common.

Are there any schools near you (or your potential accelerator job) where you could take a few courses and therefore make connections with people in the field? Or even just have a few meetings with people in the field? Shadowing a few people (as suggested by Mororvia above) would let you know if this is really what you want to do... as well as a way of making contacts.

The problem with Wright States program (as I have heard) is that they do not have a hospital connected to them so the students have a hard time getting clinical hours.

the first thing you will want to do is investigate some CAMPEP accredited medical physics PhD programs. With your background in accelerator physics, none of the material shouldn't be terribly difficult for you (although some of the cell biology, anatomy and physiology might cause you grief). It also makes you a natural to consider radiation therapy physics where you can do a lot of work with accelerators and beam simulations.

The PhD program may or may not get you the clinical experience you need. In any case, a CAMPEP accredited residency program after your PhD will get you all the clinical experience you'll need to sit the ABR or ABMP boards. Check the AAPM website for more information about medical physics as a career. You can also check with the closest teaching hospital with a radiation oncology department to see if they have any therapy physicists on staff. Give them a call and tell them your interest. Most will be more than happy to spend some time telling you more.

Last edited:
jdelaute said:
Sorry if this post appears twice; I couldn't figure out if it actually posted the first time.

I'd really like some career advice about medical physics. I've just finished an M.S. (with thesis) in accelerator physics, my research was about radiation and superconducting magnets.

I'm very interested in entering the medical physics field, but I'm not sure what I need to do that. I'm planning on studying some medical physics and anatomy textbooks and then trying to pass the ABMP certification. Were I to pass, would that certification, along with my accelerator physics MS, be enough to hire me?

Also, I've been offered a job as an accelerator physicist, but I think that I would rather work in medical physics. However, it is a great foot-in-the-door kind of job, so it would be hard for me to turn down. My question here is: is accelerator physics work relevant to a medical physics career? I've noticed that many medical physics jobs would like 2-5 years relevant experience. My job would be building magnets, doing simulations with magnets and radiation, and maintaining various parts of the accelerator.

I don't know a lot yet about med physics in general, so if you have any general advice about going into medical physics with a non-med-physics MS, I'd appreciate that too.

If you'd prefer to email me, I'm delauter.geo@yahoo.com
Thank you,
Jon

I was interested in the same career path. Can you tell me why you chose ot get a masters instead of just getting a phd in medical physics?

I would say that you definitely need some kind of training in Medical Physics in order to be able to jump into the field. Your background could be suitable for starting a PhD in Medical Physics as someone already mentioned.
If you don't want to do a PhD, then perhaps you should try to apply for a residency position (check out the CAMPEP approved residency positions on the CAMPEP website).
Otherwise, there's always the option of doing a Master's in medical physics. I believe you said you already did one in accelerator physics, but although that is sound theoretical training for research on MedPhys, it doesn't give you the practical clinical knowledge that is necessary to work as a Medical Physicist in a oncology clinic.
Hope that helps!

1. What is the job outlook for medical physics careers?

The job outlook for medical physics careers is very positive. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for medical physicists is projected to grow 7% from 2019 to 2029, which is much faster than the average for all occupations. This is due to an increasing demand for medical services and advancements in medical technology.

2. What qualifications do I need to become a medical physicist?

In order to become a medical physicist, you typically need a master's degree in medical physics or a related field. Some employers may also require a Ph.D. and/or board certification from the American Board of Radiology or the American Board of Medical Physics. Additionally, you will need to complete a clinical residency program and obtain a state license to practice medical physics.

3. What skills are important for a successful medical physics career?

Some important skills for a successful medical physics career include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, excellent communication skills, and proficiency in scientific and medical software. It is also important to have a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and biology.

4. What types of industries and settings can medical physicists work in?

Medical physicists can work in a variety of industries and settings, including hospitals, cancer treatment centers, research laboratories, government agencies, and medical device companies. They can also specialize in different areas such as diagnostic imaging, radiation therapy, nuclear medicine, or health physics.

5. How can I advance in my medical physics career?

To advance in your medical physics career, you can pursue advanced degrees and certifications, gain experience in different areas of medical physics, and stay up-to-date with advancements in the field. You can also take on leadership roles, participate in research projects, and network with other professionals in the industry.