Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Member introduction

1. Jul 25, 2008 #1
    Thought I would introduce myself.

My name is Chase and I will be a senior at a mid-sized university in Michigan this coming year. I'm a clinical exercise science major, which involves a good deal of physiology and exercise prescription.

What exactly am I doing on a physics forum then? Well I took my "Physics for dummies" class last winter, as part of my major, and I fell in love with it.

I was never a good student during high school, but am doing much better now that I have found some direction. My goals now are to complete my current major (I only have 5 classes and an internship left). However, I will be studying as much mathematics, physics, and engineering that I can during my last 4 semesters.

I hope to enter into the mechanical engineering realm working with biomechanics and possibly robotic design. I'm lucky that my university has a lot of student organizations, robotics being one of them. I plan to join it in the fall to help build my knowledge of electronic and mechanical engineering.

I hope to get a Masters in mechanical engineering. I know that there aren't many options for an undergrad without an engineering degree, but I'm currently looking at Boston University's LEAP program, which offers a Masters in Science for engineering for undergrads not holding an engineering degree.

I'm currently studying for my university's advanced math placement exam. It covers college level algebra and trigonometry. If I pass the exam, I will be able to enroll in our first semester calculus course.

I feel like I'm getting a really late start on everything, but am happy that I've finally found something that I am excited for.

If I'm not accepted into a Masters program, I plan to get an undergraduate degree in engineering. It will require a lot of extra work, but I'm in the fortunate position of my father being a professor at my university, which gains me 50% tuition.

So, as I'm studying for the advanced math placement test, you may see me post questions here and there about some simple concepts that I need help with. I hope to challenge myself and learn a lot from this forum.

Now it's back to studying,

Chase

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the forum Chase! It's never too late to go after what you want.

What's your favorite fish, btw?

4. Jul 25, 2008 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PH, Chase! It's great here - the mentch-to-jerk ratio here is very high :smile: .

5. Jul 25, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome Chase!

Lisa. What is PH? PF High? :confused:

6. Jul 25, 2008 #5
    Don't know which type of favorite fish you're looking for so I'll give them all.

My favorite fish to eat is salmon...
    Favorite fish to catch is smallmouth bass
    Favorite aquarium fish is discus

7. Jul 25, 2008 #6
    Chase, you are most welcome here, you seem perfect :rofl:
    Is there any large fish you like, for any purpose ? How about Albacore ?

8. Jul 25, 2008 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:redface: :rofl:

9. Jul 25, 2008 #8

Evo

Uhm, actually the type of fish you'd like to get hit with. It's a PF tradition.

10. Jul 26, 2008 #9

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to ~PF Chase!! Nice to have you aboard.. A cool place to exchange ideas with a global community. I believe what Evo is referring to is the PF fish welcome. A bit of sillyness for when your head gets too saturated in technical thought.

11. Jul 26, 2008 #10
    Thanks for the kind welcome.

If I had to be hit with a fish, I'd choose a perch.

In any case, I've put the mathematics studying on hold while I finish a couple projects for the summer classes that I am taking.

Some really interesting material on this board. I hope there comes a day when I can comprehend most of it!

12. Jul 26, 2008 #11

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to the forum chasely! It's a great place. I know you will enjoy it(at least once the "fishing" ritual is over with).

*backs in dump truck full of perch"

OK everyone grab a perch!:biggrin:

13. Jul 26, 2008 #12
    First I need to know why a perch? I mean, why that specific fish for whacking?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  14. Jul 27, 2008 #13
    Deciding on a fish to be whacked with involves some serious thought.

I chose the perch because I have a long history of catching perch with my father, creating a sentimental bond between myself and perch.

Secondly, this being a physics forum, I speculated that a small perch would have less momentum than say, a bass.

15. Jul 27, 2008 #14

Evo

Oh good, he's here!

[​IMG]

16. Jul 27, 2008 #15

Astronuc

Well, that does depend on whether or not they have the same velocity, and assuming one is considering a typical perch and typcial bass (which one needs to specify, e.g. freshwater or saltwater, or large mouth or small mouth).

At the same velocity then pbass/pperch is proportional to mbass/mperch, but if the kinetic energies are the same, then

pbass/pperch is proportional to [tex]\sqrt{\frac{m_{bass}}{m_{perch}}}[/tex]

We haven't even touched on color, flavor or charm of the perch either.

17. Jul 27, 2008 #16
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    What other members belong to the perch multiplet ? And what's the associated gauge group anyway ?

18. Jul 27, 2008 #17
    That was brilliant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?