Mesh Analysis (2 loops 3 supplies)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the voltage drop across each resistor. The person is struggling with the formulas, particularly with three voltage sources. However, they were doing well until they started to add duplicate terms for components. The procedure for finding the voltage drop is to walk around the loop and examine each component only once.
bluff_boy
1.Find the voltage drop across each resistor? (I'll be able to do this after finding out the currents)

I've had a go at the formulas but not sure if they're right I've never done 3 voltage sources before so the middle one is putting me off. Any help with the formulas would be great thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1106.jpg
    IMG_1106.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 425
  • physics.png
    physics.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 460
Physics news on Phys.org
You were doing great until you started to write duplicate or additional terms for components that you'd already passed through on your trips around each loop.

For loop one, for example:

V1 - R1*I1 - R2(I1 - I2) - V2 = 0

That's it. That's all.

The procedure is to "walk" around the loop and examine each component as you come to it. You only pass through each component once!

1. What is Mesh Analysis?

Mesh Analysis is a method used to analyze electric circuits with multiple loops and power supplies. It involves creating individual meshes or loops within the circuit and applying Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) to each mesh to determine the current flowing through each branch and the voltage across each component.

2. How many meshes are required for a circuit with 2 loops and 3 power supplies?

For a circuit with 2 loops and 3 power supplies, 2 meshes are required. Each mesh will include one of the loops and one of the power supplies.

3. What is the purpose of using Mesh Analysis?

The purpose of using Mesh Analysis is to simplify the analysis of complex circuits with multiple loops and power supplies. It allows us to determine the current and voltage values in a systematic and efficient manner, making it easier to understand and troubleshoot any issues in the circuit.

4. What are the steps involved in performing Mesh Analysis?

The steps involved in performing Mesh Analysis are as follows:

1. Identify the meshes (loops) in the circuit.
  2. Assign a current variable to each mesh in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction.
  3. Apply KVL to each mesh, creating a set of equations.
  4. Solve the equations simultaneously to determine the current and voltage values for each mesh.
  5. Use Ohm's Law to calculate the current and voltage values for each branch and component in the circuit.

5. What are the limitations of Mesh Analysis?

Mesh Analysis can only be used for circuits with independent voltage sources. It also assumes that all components in the circuit are linear and have constant values. Additionally, it may become more complex and time-consuming for circuits with a large number of loops and power supplies.