1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mesh Analysis of an AC circuit.

1. Oct 8, 2012 #1
    I need to perform mesh analysis using complex numbers on an AC circuit. My issue, is I don't understand how to do this. The circuit contains only one voltage source, where we have only been taught how to perform a mesh analysis on a circuit that contains 2 voltage sources. Can someone show me how to perform a mesh analysis on the attached circuit.The attached circuit was built in MultiSim, and though it has the currents, I need find the currents without simulation and just calculations. Please help! This is just an example, but a really close example to my actual circuit.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi EleComp, http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif [Broken]

For mesh analysis, mark in a current flowing all the way around each mesh or closed loop. Say a current i₁ goes from the top of the voltage source, through R and C and back into the lower end of the voltage source. For the second loop, mark in a current i₂ emerging from the top of the capacitor going through the inductor and back into the lower end of the capacitor. You have marked a current in each loop, and this now defines the net current in each element. In particular, the current in the capacitor = i₁ - i₂

Now, use KVL to derive a set of equations in i₁ and i₂, and solve simultaneously.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook