Mesh Analysis for time domains?

In summary, Delta says that Delta says that mesh current in the circuit should be given by 10+3(i1)+2s(i1-i2)=0 (for the mesh on the left)and -10+12(i2)+6s(i2)+2s(i2-i1)=0 (right mesh) if both are anticlockwise.
jisbon
Homework Statement
Solve the following mesh circuit.
Relevant Equations
-
I've tried to solve the following circuit using mesh equation, but the solution seems to differ from my attempted answer.

Mesh circuit as follows:

1589772153530.png

My mesh equation is:

-10+3(i1)+2s(i1-i2)=0 (for the mesh on the left)
and
-10+12(i2)+6s(i2)+2s(i2-i1)=0 (right mesh)

However the answer seems to be different and claims that the equation are as follows:

1589772263290.png

Am I missing something here?
Thanks

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to show us how you took the directions of currents ##I_1,I_2## to be

And why you say in time domain since it seems you doing it in the s-domain (Laplace transformed currents)?

Sorry, what I meant was s domain.
As shown in the diagram, I1 is in the clockwise direction, while I2 (the one on the right) is in anticlockwise.

Then in your equations you should put ##I_1+I_2## where you have ##I_1-I_2## (or ##I_2-I_1##) and then your answer is the same with the book answer.
You should put ##I_1+I_2## because that's what we get -given the current directions as you say -if we apply KCL at the junction with the 3##\Omega## resistor the 6s coil and the 2s coil ,

Likes Joshy
Sorry I now understood you use mesh currents, but still the total mesh current in the branch that has the source and the 2s coil is ##I_1+I_2## because one is clockwise and the other counterclockwise.

Likes Joshy
Delta2 said:
Sorry I now understood you use mesh currents, but still the total mesh current in the branch that has the source and the 2s coil is ##I_1+I_2## because one is clockwise and the other counterclockwise.
Oh I see. So if they are in the same direction, my old equations will then be correct?
This:
10+3(i1)+2s(i1-i2)=0 (for the mesh on the left)
and

jisbon said:
Oh I see. So if they are in the same direction, my old equations will then be correct?
This:
10+3(i1)+2s(i1-i2)=0 (for the mesh on the left)
and
Yes I believe the above equations are correct if both are anticlockwise.

Likes jisbon
I agree with Delta. You draw both of the currents in the same direction and so their sign should not flip.

Likes Delta2

1. What is Mesh Analysis for time domains?

Mesh Analysis is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage and current of each element in a circuit. It involves creating a mesh or loop in the circuit and applying Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to solve for the unknown values.

2. How is Mesh Analysis different from Nodal Analysis?

Mesh Analysis and Nodal Analysis are two different methods used to analyze circuits. While Mesh Analysis focuses on creating loops in the circuit, Nodal Analysis involves identifying and analyzing the nodes or connection points in the circuit. Both methods can be used to solve for the unknown values in a circuit, but they are better suited for different types of circuits.

3. When should Mesh Analysis be used?

Mesh Analysis is most useful when analyzing circuits with multiple voltage sources and a limited number of current sources. It is also best suited for circuits with a high number of series elements and a low number of parallel elements.

4. What are the steps involved in performing Mesh Analysis?

The steps for performing Mesh Analysis are as follows:1. Identify and label the mesh currents in the circuit.2. Apply Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to each mesh, setting the sum of the voltage drops equal to the voltage rise.3. Write equations for each mesh current in terms of the circuit elements.4. Solve the resulting system of equations to find the unknown mesh currents.5. Use the mesh currents to determine the voltage and current of each element in the circuit.

5. What are the limitations of Mesh Analysis?

Mesh Analysis is not suitable for circuits with a high number of parallel elements or multiple current sources. It also requires the circuit to be planar, meaning all elements must be in the same plane. Additionally, Mesh Analysis can become complex and time-consuming for circuits with a large number of elements.