Metal hair brush to reduce static electricity

In summary, when someone uses a comb that is made of a highly conductive metal, the static electricity will not accumulate on their hair like it would with a normal comb.
Nothing000
When I comb my hair a few hair stick up some times due to static electricity. I was wondering if I used a comb made of some highly conductive metal like copper, would I not get the static electricity in my hair?
When I comb my hair with the plastic brush, isn't the reason that my hair gets a static charge is because the electrons are flowing from the plastic brush to my hair?
If that is the case, then wouldn't free electrons in my hair flow out of my hair and onto the brush if I were to use one made from a conductive material?

Physics news on Phys.org
You assume correct. A conductive brush would not cause static.

That is so cool. Do you think that any companies that make hair brushes have ever marketed a conductive hair brush that does not cause static electricity?

Another question:
When my clothes get real bad static electicity why is it that when I rub them against some type of conductive metal the static charge is still on the clothes? Shouldn't the excess of electrons in the clothes be transferred to the conductive metal?

Nothing000 said:
Another question:
When my clothes get real bad static electicity why is it that when I rub them against some type of conductive metal the static charge is still on the clothes? Shouldn't the excess of electrons in the clothes be transferred to the conductive metal?

It would if the conductive metal brushed against had a sufficiently large surface area and, especially, if it were grounded.
Even still, fabrics are poor conductors of electricity, so one might have to stay in contact with the metal for a long enough period of time.

pallidin said:
Even still, fabrics are poor conductors of electricity...

But I thought that poor conductors (insulators) wanted to get rid of any excess electrons, and give them to any good conductor that touches it. So wouldn't this poor conductor be eager to give its excess electrons away?

By the very definition of non conductor, it is dificult to remove charge. Only the spots directly in contact with the grounded conductor will be discharged. The charge on a non conductor will redistribute very slowly.

A ungrounded conductor will not remove any charge, its charge will simply redistribute to balance the existing charge on the non conductor.

i used a wood comb. I think that it's very well. You can try it. hair accessories

kettyheloD said:
i used a wood comb.

I tried one of those once. It took me three days to pick all of the splinters out of my scalp. :grumpy:

Integral said:
You assume correct. A conductive brush would not cause static.

Are you sure? Certainly if the brush were grounded, I agree. But if you're just holding the brush? Where does the charge go? A conductive brush let's the charge flow easily from one end to the other, but it's still on the brush.

I would suggest that the biggest difference with a conductive brush is that the charge that is on the brush ends up dispersed over the surface of the brush, not concentrated at the bristles.

Every time I brush my head my three remaining hairs stand to attention.

Some insulators do no charge up well for example wood as suggested by ketty(I have never heard of wood charging up) so there may be other materials that could be suitable.I will consult my hair stylist the next time I have my highlights done.

1. What is a metal hair brush?

A metal hair brush is a type of hairbrush that has metal bristles, instead of traditional plastic or natural bristles. These bristles are usually made of stainless steel or copper, and are designed to help reduce static electricity in the hair.

2. How does a metal hair brush reduce static electricity?

The metal bristles of the hair brush act as conductors, allowing the static electricity in your hair to flow through them and dissipate. This helps to prevent your hair from becoming frizzy and staticky.

3. Can a metal hair brush damage my hair?

No, a metal hair brush will not damage your hair. In fact, the metal bristles are often gentler on the hair than plastic bristles, as they do not create as much friction. However, it is important to choose a high-quality metal hair brush with smooth, rounded bristles to prevent any potential damage.

4. Who should use a metal hair brush?

A metal hair brush is suitable for anyone who experiences static electricity in their hair. This is especially common for those with fine or dry hair, as these hair types are more prone to static. It can also be beneficial for those living in dry climates or during the winter months when static is more prevalent.

5. How often should I use a metal hair brush?

You can use a metal hair brush every time you brush your hair, just like a regular hairbrush. However, if you only experience occasional static in your hair, you may only need to use it when needed. It is also important to clean your metal hair brush regularly to remove any buildup of hair products or oils, which can reduce its effectiveness.