Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metal hair brush to reduce static electricity

  1. Jan 31, 2006 #1
    When I comb my hair a few hair stick up some times due to static electricity. I was wondering if I used a comb made of some highly conductive metal like copper, would I not get the static electricity in my hair?
    When I comb my hair with the plastic brush, isn't the reason that my hair gets a static charge is because the electrons are flowing from the plastic brush to my hair?
    If that is the case, then wouldn't free electrons in my hair flow out of my hair and onto the brush if I were to use one made from a conductive material?
     
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2006 #2

    Integral

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    You assume correct. A conductive brush would not cause static.
     
  4. Jan 31, 2006 #3
    That is so cool. Do you think that any companies that make hair brushes have ever marketed a conductive hair brush that does not cause static electricity?
     
  5. Jan 31, 2006 #4
    Another question:
    When my clothes get real bad static electicity why is it that when I rub them against some type of conductive metal the static charge is still on the clothes? Shouldn't the excess of electrons in the clothes be transferred to the conductive metal?
     
  6. Jan 31, 2006 #5
    It would if the conductive metal brushed against had a sufficiently large surface area and, especially, if it were grounded.
    Even still, fabrics are poor conductors of electricity, so one might have to stay in contact with the metal for a long enough period of time.
     
  7. Jan 31, 2006 #6
    But I thought that poor conductors (insulators) wanted to get rid of any excess electrons, and give them to any good conductor that touches it. So wouldn't this poor conductor be eager to give its excess electrons away?
     
  8. Jan 31, 2006 #7

    Integral

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    By the very definition of non conductor, it is dificult to remove charge. Only the spots directly in contact with the grounded conductor will be discharged. The charge on a non conductor will redistribute very slowly.

    A ungrounded conductor will not remove any charge, its charge will simply redistribute to balance the existing charge on the non conductor.
     
  9. Apr 13, 2009 #8
    i used a wood comb. I think that it's very well. You can try it. hair accessories
     
  10. Apr 13, 2009 #9

    Danger

    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    I tried one of those once. It took me three days to pick all of the splinters out of my scalp. :grumpy:
     
  11. Apr 13, 2009 #10

    Vanadium 50

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

    Are you sure? Certainly if the brush were grounded, I agree. But if you're just holding the brush? Where does the charge go? A conductive brush lets the charge flow easily from one end to the other, but it's still on the brush.

    I would suggest that the biggest difference with a conductive brush is that the charge that is on the brush ends up dispersed over the surface of the brush, not concentrated at the bristles.
     
  12. Apr 13, 2009 #11
    Every time I brush my head my three remaining hairs stand to attention.

    Some insulators do no charge up well for example wood as suggested by ketty(I have never heard of wood charging up) so there may be other materials that could be suitable.I will consult my hair stylist the next time I have my highlights done.
     
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?



Similar Discussions: Metal hair brush to reduce static electricity
  1. Static Electricity (Replies: 1)

  2. Static Electricity (Replies: 16)

  3. Static Electricity (Replies: 6)

  4. Static Electricity (Replies: 8)

Loading...