Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metals, X-rays, and plasma frequency

1. Apr 15, 2006 #1

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I was wondering if it would be fair to say that the frequency at which x-rays start to penetrate a metal would be the plasma frequency associated with the electron density of the metal, i.e. the frequency given by

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/PlasmaFrequency.html

or whether some other mechanism was involved.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2006 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you tried calculating the electron plasma frequency for some typical metals?

4. Apr 17, 2006 #3
    you wouldn't be correct. plasmon energies are several orders of magnitude lower than the x-ray range.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  5. Apr 17, 2006 #4

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Using the MKS formula at

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1529021

and using N = 8.47 * 10^28 / m^3 for copper

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/tables/fermi.html#c2

I am currently getting 2.6*10^15 hz

This seems to probably be a bit low, in the UV range. But I don't know what the effective mass of an electron in copper should be, nor do I know what the permittivity value should be - they probably shouldn't be the free-space values I used for both.

I also don't really know when copper starts transmitting x-rays, for that matter :-(.

6. Apr 17, 2006 #5

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What's a plasmon?

It looks like the estimate in terms of plasma frequency misses the mark by a few orders of magnitude from remarks that have been made - any ideas of how can it be "fixed up" to get within, say, one order of magnitude?

7. Apr 17, 2006 #6
    plasmons are charge density fluctuations (collective excitations) in metals. same stuff but treated quantum mechanically taking the proper electronic structure into account. I don't think you can get much closer since in a lot of metals the electron effective masses aren't too far from the bare electron mass.

8. Apr 17, 2006 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you are trying to calculate the frequency at which a metal starts to become transparent to radiation, that would be the plasma frequency. Most metals are transparent at high UV frequencies.

So, to correct the statement in your OP :
    ...it would be fair to say that the frequency at which EM radiation starts to penetrate a metal would be the plasma frequency associated with the electron density of the metal...

9. Apr 18, 2006 #8

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

OK, that answers the question, thanks. And it nicely explains why the semiconductor people have trouble building UV mirrors, too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?