Methanotrophic bacteria / enzymes

In summary, methanotrophic bacteria are promising candidates for converting methane into methanol, but the yield is low and there are still some technological challenges to be overcome.
Borealis
Dear all !

Does anyone have experience with methanotrophic bacteria ?

The background of my question: I am trying to explore a new pathway for the reaction methane to methanol.

One can basically think of two approaches:
a) chemically via classic catalysts, b) biologically via enzymes or bacteria.
Methanotrophic bacteria contain an enzyme called oxygenase, and they seem to be most promising when it comes to a biocatalytic conversion of methane to methanol.
Research has been done for almost 100 years on that topic, so far no one has implemented an economically feasible process for making methanol directly from methane. The main problem is the low yield (below 10 %).

Biology news on Phys.org
my friend is working on a way to increase the productivity of ethanol from sugar in bacteria. Two different things i know i know, but he knows more about the enzymes involved in these processes. interested in contacting him?

Hi Contrio !

Thanks for your reply. Yes, indeed, I would be very interested in getting in touch with your colleague who is working on sugar -> ethanol. He can contact me directly at {email address deleted by Moonbear: it's unwise to share your email address on an open forum} or he can write me an e mail in this forum, as you did.

Take care,

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Borealis... I am a friend of contrio... The one that interested with bioethanol production from biomass. how we can get in touch? The e mail address is banned in the forum. my Yahoo ID is furanosa2000. maybe you can add me and later when we online, together with contrio, we can have some chat and talk about it.

Borealis said:
Dear all !

Does anyone have experience with methanotrophic bacteria ?

The background of my question: I am trying to explore a new pathway for the reaction methane to methanol.

One can basically think of two approaches:
a) chemically via classic catalysts, b) biologically via enzymes or bacteria.
Methanotrophic bacteria contain an enzyme called oxygenase, and they seem to be most promising when it comes to a biocatalytic conversion of methane to methanol.
Research has been done for almost 100 years on that topic, so far no one has implemented an economically feasible process for making methanol directly from methane. The main problem is the low yield (below 10 %).

You might want to review this as well...

http://www.technologyreview.com/Energy/18784/
http://www.technologyreview.com/Energy/18234/

New (non-enzymatic) methods for converting methane and other gaseous hydrocarbons into liquids might be better suited for large scale processes.

Last edited:

1. What are methanotrophic bacteria/enzymes?

Methanotrophic bacteria/enzymes are microorganisms that have the ability to use methane as their sole source of carbon and energy. They are found in various environments, such as soil, sediment, and freshwater, and play a crucial role in the global carbon cycle by converting methane into carbon dioxide.

2. How do methanotrophic bacteria/enzymes function?

Methanotrophic bacteria/enzymes have specialized enzymes, called methane monooxygenases, that catalyze the oxidation of methane to methanol. This methanol is then further oxidized to carbon dioxide and water, releasing energy for the bacteria/enzymes to use for growth and metabolism.

3. What are the potential applications of methanotrophic bacteria/enzymes?

Methanotrophic bacteria/enzymes have various potential applications, including bioremediation of methane emissions from natural gas and oil production, treatment of wastewater with high levels of methane, and production of biofuels and bioplastics from methane.

4. Are methanotrophic bacteria/enzymes beneficial or harmful to the environment?

Methanotrophic bacteria/enzymes are beneficial to the environment as they play a crucial role in mitigating methane emissions, which is a potent greenhouse gas. However, in certain environments, such as landfills, these bacteria/enzymes can contribute to the production of harmful byproducts, such as formaldehyde and nitrous oxide.

5. How are methanotrophic bacteria/enzymes studied and researched?

Scientists study methanotrophic bacteria/enzymes through various techniques, including metagenomics, transcriptomics, and proteomics. These techniques allow for the identification and characterization of the genes and enzymes involved in methane metabolism, as well as the study of their activity and regulation in different environments.