Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Method of Energy Distribution Using Transformers

1. Jun 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Describe a method, based on the use of transformers, that you would use to distribute the energy to each home in a town. Be sure to give a precise description of step up and step down transformers.

2. Relevant equations
    None.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not really sure where to start. I don't know what I'm supposed to answer with, when the question asks 'describe a method', what do they mean? Do they mean in terms of voltage, or what appliance?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2008 #2
    I think they want you to find a method to reduce the incoming voltage from the power lines (usually a few thousand volts) to the voltage generally used in domestic homes (either 240V or 110V). Transformers are devices that can step up or step down voltages. Find a description of how they do this and the answer may come to you. Sorry I can't be more help, it's quite a vague question.

4. Jun 4, 2008 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

This wikipedia.org link has a good intro and links to other learning resources. Read this page, and then try to find a link to what utilities typically use for voltages in the different parts of their transmission system. Find a typical suburban ditribution network and its numbers, and use that for your model. Be sure to explain *why* those voltages are chosen!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_power_transmission

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook