1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Method of Energy Distribution Using Transformers

1. Jun 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Describe a method, based on the use of transformers, that you would use to distribute the energy to each home in a town. Be sure to give a precise description of step up and step down transformers.

2. Relevant equations
    None.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not really sure where to start. I don't know what I'm supposed to answer with, when the question asks 'describe a method', what do they mean? Do they mean in terms of voltage, or what appliance?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2008 #2
    I think they want you to find a method to reduce the incoming voltage from the power lines (usually a few thousand volts) to the voltage generally used in domestic homes (either 240V or 110V). Transformers are devices that can step up or step down voltages. Find a description of how they do this and the answer may come to you. Sorry I can't be more help, it's quite a vague question.

4. Jun 4, 2008 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

This wikipedia.org link has a good intro and links to other learning resources. Read this page, and then try to find a link to what utilities typically use for voltages in the different parts of their transmission system. Find a typical suburban ditribution network and its numbers, and use that for your model. Be sure to explain *why* those voltages are chosen!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_power_transmission

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?