1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Method of images about a sphere with a dipole

1. Feb 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello everyone, I am new here and have a question regarding method of images in my electricity and magnetism class. I need help to even get the ball rolling. The question is as follows:

a) What is the image of a dipole, oriented toward the center of the conducting sphere, if the sphere
    is not grounded?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is where my confusion initially lies. When it is said 'what is the image of a dipole,' what exactly does that mean? Am I to draw a picture of the dipole in regards to an non-grounded sphere? If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2016 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

4. Feb 21, 2016 #3
    Ahh ok, so is this part of the problem just asking for an image of a dipole for a non-grounded sphere then? The other parts of the question asked for the potential energy and total charge of the sphere which I calculated. Maybe I'm overthinking the first part but when it says image, it's just asking to draw an image, no? Thanks for your help!

5. Feb 21, 2016 #4

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, they are asking you to figure out the location and magnitude of the image dipole, and use that to answer the other questions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted