Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Methods for Damping High Frequencies in FEM Thin Film Model?

Tags:
  1. Jul 15, 2017 #1
    I would like to simulate the vibrations of a thin film polymer in vacuum using nonlinear analysis. For this purpose I am using an FEM program I have written in MATLAB. I do not have any data regarding damping in the structure, so I am estimating the damping using stiffness-proportional-only Caughey damping and adjusting the damping ratio until results appear reasonable. This strategy seems to be working for finding the steady-state result, but does nothing for the high frequency oscillations induced by the discretization. This is revealed in the series of figures below:

CD3wwn0.jpg
    The above plots appears reasonable, but upon zooming in on the lower plot:
    0Fx39fF.jpg
    a high frequency, low amplitude oscillation is revealed. Zooming in further:
    hj6wVZ9.jpg
    shows that this oscillation is not damped out, but persists at a non-relevant scale. This causes the simulation to run slow even after steady-state should have been achieved.

I have made one attempt to work around the issue by introducing artificial static friction to cause nodes to stick when near steady-state, but this only induces the oscillations to grow (thought to be due to compounding forces from neighboring non-stuck nodes).

Is there some other approach I could take to damp the high frequency oscillations? A non-exhaustive search of academic literature via Google only turned up results on Rayleigh damping and elementary viscoelastic models. If there is some terminology specific to this particular problem, I am not aware of it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2017 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What physical model of the film have you used ?

4. Jul 15, 2017 #3
    I am currently using a hyperelastic linear stress-strain relationship with full nonlinear Eulerian strain and a modification that compressive stresses are forcibly set to zero. The FEM model regards each element as a 2D membrane.

I realize this is not a particularly accurate model for polymers, but as I am writing my own program, I only want to increase the complexity as I can manage to have simpler models work appropriately.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted