What is the ideal damper for a passenger car suspension?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
hackashack
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
I've been a bit lost figuring out what damper I should be using for the front suspension I am designing. Right now I'm running a wheel rate of 60 lbf/in at the front with a ride frequency of 1.2254 Hz. The front is also supporting a sprung mass of 391.68 lbf. Comfort is the end requirement of the design where the car will be operating at city and highway speeds of around 60km/h and 100km/h.

From what I've been reading a damping ratio of about 0.2 is suitable for a passenger car to maximize comfort in bump. I am aware that just working with that damping ratio all throughout the force velocity curve is not ideal because the ride can be very uncomfortable at high velocities and I am also aware that the damping should be higher during rebound compared to bump. Currently I am trying to work towards a force velocity curve that has a similar profile as shown in the attachment I've uploaded. However, I am having difficulty determining how much more damping I want in rebound compared to bump as well as where I should have the split between high and low velocity.

Another thing that I'm concerned about is when I do actually finalize my desired force velocity curve, how can I select a damper on the market that will behave similarly to that curve? I've been looking around in catalogs but all they help you with is the sizing and choosing the appropriate damper for a particular model of vehicle and I don't believe manufacturers are willing to reveal their force velocity plots for their dampers because it may be confidential information. Any help would be appreciated!
 
Attachments
  • Force Velocity Curve.PNG
    Force Velocity Curve.PNG
    8.3 KB · Views: 879
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you access to this book, shock absorber handbook (2nd ed)? Amazon let's you look at a lot,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0768000505/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Another place to ask experts,

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8937&start=285

I like a Google image search,

https://www.google.com/search?q=sho...5KuH9sATspYLAAg&ved=0CB4QsAQ&biw=1360&bih=649

Google book preview shows quite a bit of the first edition of "shock absorber handbook".

https://books.google.com/books?id=0...A#v=onepage&q=shock absorber handbook&f=false
 
Last edited by a moderator: