Methods of calculating gravitational influence.

In summary: Your Name]In summary, Arian is seeking assistance in determining how to know if a projectile will impact Earth due to its gravitational influence. Suggestions for determining this include calculating the trajectory, using simulations, observing the object, and collaborating with other scientists.
arianabedi
Dear Physicsforumians!

I've posted a detailed version of this as a "home work", so I hope its ok to ask this here, (its just a personal project) the link is : https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=527047"

My question is how would you know if a projectile (passing Earth) won't impact the planet because of its gravitational influence?

I know the distance that the comet is passing Earth from (234,803.4KM), and its trajectory is strait from Mars's North pole, heading towards Sun's North pole, so we assume that Earth is in alignment with Mars (and stays constant).

The only clue I have is : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_acceleration"
[tex]\hat{g}=-\frac{GM}{r^2}\hat{r}[/tex]
However I am not sure how to measure the unit vector between the object and the planet (r-hat).

I assume astronomers or mission planners use simulators but I haven't found any semi-accurate ones that are free to use (at least for a Mac).

Thank you for putting time to read this.
-Arian

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Arian,

Thank you for your interesting question. I can suggest a few ways to determine if a projectile will impact Earth based on its gravitational influence:

1. Calculate the trajectory: Using the equation you mentioned, along with other equations related to projectile motion, you can calculate the trajectory of the projectile and determine if it will pass close enough to Earth to be affected by its gravitational pull. This will require knowledge of the projectile's mass, velocity, and distance from Earth.

2. Use simulations: As you mentioned, astronomers and mission planners often use simulations to predict the trajectory of objects in space. These simulations take into account various factors such as gravity, velocity, and mass to accurately predict the path of a projectile. You can try finding a free simulation tool online or consult with an astronomer for assistance.

3. Observe the object: If the projectile is visible from Earth, astronomers can track its movement and use telescopes to measure its distance from Earth. By observing its trajectory over time, they can determine if it will pass close enough to be influenced by Earth's gravity.

4. Collaborate with other scientists: In the field of astronomy, collaboration is key. Scientists often work together to analyze data and make predictions about celestial objects. You can reach out to other scientists or join online forums to discuss your project and receive feedback from experts in the field.

I hope these suggestions will help you in your project. Good luck!

FAQ: Methods of calculating gravitational influence.

1. How is the force of gravity calculated between two objects?

The force of gravity between two objects can be calculated using Newton's law of universal gravitation: F = (G * m1 * m2) / d^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and d is the distance between them.

2. What is the difference between gravitational force and gravitational field?

Gravitational force is the actual physical force of attraction between two objects, while gravitational field is the region of space around an object where another object would experience a gravitational force. Gravitational field is a vector quantity, while gravitational force is a scalar quantity.

3. How do you calculate the gravitational influence of multiple objects?

To calculate the gravitational influence of multiple objects, you can use the principle of superposition, which states that the total force on an object is equal to the vector sum of the individual forces from each object. This means you can calculate the force on an object by adding up the forces from each individual object using the equation mentioned in question 1.

4. How does distance affect the force of gravity?

The force of gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects. This means that as the distance between two objects increases, the force of gravity decreases. So, the farther apart two objects are, the weaker the gravitational influence between them.

5. What are some practical applications of calculating gravitational influence?

Calculating gravitational influence is crucial in many real-world applications, such as spacecraft trajectory planning, satellite orbit determination, and predicting the motion of planets and stars. It is also essential in understanding the formation and evolution of galaxies and other celestial bodies.

Back