1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metric space proof open and closed set

1. Dec 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    show the set {f: ∫f(t)dt>1(integration from 0 to 1) } is an open set in the metric space ( C[0,1],||.||∞)

and if A is the subset of C[0,1] defined by A={f:0<=f<=1} is closed in the norm ||.||∞ norm.

2. Relevant equations
    C[0,1] is f is continuous from 0 to 1.and ||.||∞ is the norm that ||f||∞ =sup | f|

3. The attempt at a solution
    first one I set U= {f: ∫f(t)dt>1(integration from 0 to 1) },then fixed f in U s.t.∫f(t)dt>1 and let ∫f(t)dt=r claim B(f,r)is contained in U need to show for f' in B(f,r) then ∫f'(t)dt>1,but f' in B(f,r) means ||f'-f||∞ = sup|f'-f|<r then i dont know how to get ∫f'(t)dt>1??

and hows about the secound part of the question? should i conseder the compementary set???

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2012 #2
    This is not true: For [itex]f(x)=\frac{3}{2}, g(x)=\frac{1}{2}[/itex], [itex]\int_0^1f\ dx=\frac{3}{2}, \int_0^1g\ dx=\frac{1}{2}[/itex]. So [itex]f\in U, g\not\in U[/itex], [itex]\|f-g\|_{\infty}=1<\frac{3}{2}\Rightarrow g\in B(f, \frac{3}{2})[/itex].

You need to adjust the radius of you ball. Think about how you would show (in a way similar to the way that you're attempting) that [itex](1,\infty)[/itex] is open in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

There is a theorem about integrals of uniformly convergent sequences of functions that might prove useful.

4. Dec 2, 2012 #3
    Many thanks, I have solved the first part out. but for secound part i still dont know how to begin. should i choose a sequence fn in A then check that ||fn-f||<esillope,then what should i do for it????could u give me more details?

5. Dec 3, 2012 #4

6. Dec 3, 2012 #5
    Which definition of "closed" are you attempting to use? State it precisely.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook