1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metric spaces and convergent sequences

1. Feb 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    let {xi} be a sequence of distinct elements in a metric space, and suppose that xi→x. Let f be a one-to-one map of the set of xis into itself. prove that f(xi)→x

2. Relevant equations
    by convergence of xi, i know that for all ε>0, there exists some n0 such that if i≥n0, then d(xi,x)<ε.
    by one to one, i know that if f(x)=f(y), then x=y.
    xis are distinct (which implies that there are an infinite number of points?)
    f(xi) ⊆ {xi} (with this and one to one, does that imply the function is onto? i think yes, since the cardinality of the two sets are equal, but i'm not sure this will help me)

i want to show: for all ε>0, there exists some n0 such that if i≥n0, then d(f(xi),x)<ε.

3. The attempt at a solution
    so i've been staring at this problem for hours, not getting farther than stating my assumptions. i'm having a hard time even convincing myself that it's true, which is usually my first step. i'm thinking that since there are an infinite amount of points, then no matter what function i have, any mapping will "fill up" the earlier holes, leaving me with a remaining series that lies in any epsilon neighborhood, but i'm having trouble expressing that mathematically, and i'm not even sure if it's true. i got my hopes up by trying use a contradiction and assuming the negation of what i'm trying to show, thinking that since f(xa)=xb for some a, b in N, but all that does is show that there is a sequence, not one necessarily related by the i's (am i making sense? i mean i need the f(xi) to converge, not create a new sequence by reordering my f(xi) such that it converges), and we already knew that sequence exists.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If d(xi,x)<ε for all i≥n0 then the i values where d(xi,x)>=ε are finite in number, since i<=n0. So those f(i) values must have maximum, yes? Call it n1. So for i>n1 what about d(x_f(i),x)?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook