1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minimize distance between three points.

1. Apr 14, 2013 #1
    Find the value of m such that the sum of the squares of the vertical distances from each of the points (1,1) , (2,2) , and (3,2) to the line y=mx is minimized. Hint: Find the sum as a function of m (no x in the expression) and then minimize it.

Distance equation. d=[itex]\sqrt{(x_{1}-x_{2})^{2}+(y_{1}-y_{2})^{2}}[/itex]

So, our professor made it easier on use and since we have single variable calculus the distance to be found is vertical to the line y=mx. Therefore, the x values will cancel out and we will only be interested in the y values. With this knowledge I set out and tried to set up an equation for the distance formula for each of the values given; but, x values were given in the equation I used for the distance values when I subbed the y value for mx. I'm not sure how to juggle these three equations. How would you proceed with solving this equation. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Can you show what you did?

Add them. The sum of the squared distances should be minimized.

4. Apr 15, 2013 #3
    How would you express the vertical distance between a given point [tex](x_{1},y_{i})[/tex] and a point on the line y=mx. (hint, what is the vertical distance between the y values ?).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted