Minimizing the area of a channel in contact with water

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the minimal section in a given solution, as determined by the teacher. The values for y=L/2 and y=L/3 are compared and it is determined that the former yields a lower value. The speaker acknowledges that they may not have understood the exercise correctly and explains the correct approach for finding the minimum perimeter for a given area.
Zouatine
Homework Statement
Hi everybody,
I found some difficulty to understand the following exercise and that solution,
Statement of Exercise:
Either a uniform rectangular channel of slope (i),
What are:the draft (height) (y),and the width (L) for the wet section to be minimal.
Relevant Equations
Aw= Area of channel= y*L,
Pw= Perimeter wet =y+2L,
My problem:
In the solution,our teacher found, that the wet section is minimal if y=L/2
So
Am: = L^2 /2;
Pm: = 2L;
So despite that I try with any value, I can not find a more minimal section,
and that's not the case because if I try with y = L / 3 I find
Am: L^2/3;
Pm: (5/3)*L ;
and these values are less than the value of y = L / 2.
so why that ? is that because I did not understand the exercise or our teacher made a mistake?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Zouatine said:
Pw= Perimeter wet =y+2L,

because I did not understand the exercise
Quite so. You are looking for the minimum of 2y+L (not y+2L) for a given area A.
The y=L/2 solution gives L=√(2A), P=√(8A).
Your y=L/3 gives L=√(3A),;P=√(25A/3).
25/3>8.

1. How is the area of a channel in contact with water determined?

The area of a channel in contact with water is determined by multiplying the width of the channel by the length of the portion in contact with water. This will give you the cross-sectional area of the channel that is in contact with water.

2. Why is it important to minimize the area of a channel in contact with water?

Minimizing the area of a channel in contact with water is important because it reduces the amount of water that comes into contact with the channel. This can help prevent erosion and reduce the risk of flooding.

3. What are some methods for minimizing the area of a channel in contact with water?

Some methods for minimizing the area of a channel in contact with water include using narrower channels, adding curves to the channel to slow down the flow of water, and using vegetation to stabilize the banks of the channel.

4. How can computer simulations be used to minimize the area of a channel in contact with water?

Computer simulations can be used to model the flow of water through a channel and determine the most efficient design for minimizing the area of contact with water. This can help engineers and scientists make informed decisions about channel design.

5. What are some potential drawbacks of minimizing the area of a channel in contact with water?

One potential drawback of minimizing the area of a channel in contact with water is that it may increase the velocity of water flow, which can lead to erosion and other environmental impacts. Additionally, reducing the area of contact with water may also limit the channel's capacity to handle high volumes of water during periods of heavy rainfall. Careful consideration and planning is necessary to find a balance between minimizing contact with water and maintaining the functionality of the channel.