1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minimum coefficient of friction to prevent slipping - torque

1. Apr 11, 2007 #1
    A hollow, spherical shell with mass 1.95 rolls without slipping down a slope angled at 30.0. Find the minimum coefficient of friction needed to prevent slipping.

I have already calculated the acceleration of the sphere and the magnitude of the friction force on the sphere in previous parts. I used torque and newton's laws to find the acceleration and friction. They are:
    a = 2.94 m/s^2
    f = 3.82 N

I used the following equation for the sum of forces in the x-direction, which I oriented along the slope of the incline, with the positive direction down the incline. I didn't think I needed to use torque here, because I got the same answer that way as well.

(sum)Fx = mgsin(theta) - f = ma
    = mgsin(theta) - (mu)mgsin(theta) = ma
    mu = [a - gsin(theta)] / [-gsin(theta)]
    mu = (-1.96 m/s^2) / (-4.9 m/s^2)
    = 0.4

This coefficient of friction isn't right, but I'm sure I included all of the forces. Anyone know where I messed up? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2007 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The friction force is mu times the normal force on the plane

f = (mu)mg COS(theta).

You don't need the rest of your equation. You already found f = 3.82N so just plug the numbers into that equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?