1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minimum force required to turn over box.

1. Jan 1, 2014 #1
    Hi,
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I would like to determine the position, magnitude and direction of the minimum force F required to turn over the box shown in the attachment (width - B, height - H). The (uniform) box is placed on a horizontal plane. The coefficient of friction between the box and the plane is μ.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since τ=r x F, I believe the minimum force would have to be at either D or C (so that r is maximum). I picked C and placed my Fx and Fy there, where Fx=Fcosθ and Fy=Fsinθ and θ is the angle between F and the positive x axis. I was then trying to write the equations for the torques wrt to A. I figured that when the box is turned over, N equals zero and therefore there is no friction. I was then left with two effective forces, namely: F and mg.
    The equation I wrote down was:
    BFsinθ - FHcosθ-mgB/2=0
    Is that correct?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2014 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi peripatein! happy new year! :smile:
    yes :smile:
    (how can N = 0 ?? :confused:)

no, the criterion for any object to start to tip is that N goes through the edge of its base (in this case, A or B)

do ∑moments = 0 to find when that happens :wink:

(technically, this assumes that the box is not sliding

if it does slide, you will also need to consider the acceleration)​

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted