Minimum potential difference, Balmer series

In summary: So, by using the n(i) and n(f) you are essentially saying "give me the 2nd state of the atom that is in the first excited state."
robbie8292

Homework Statement

-A beam of electrons bombards a sample of hydrogen in its ground state.
a) Through what minimum potental difference must the electrons be accelerated if only one line of the Balmer's series can be observed?

Homework Equations

V= h^2/2meλ^2 (V=potential difference)
1/λ=R((1/n(i)^2)-(1/n(f)^2))

The Attempt at a Solution

...1/(1.09*10^7((1/2^2)-(1/3^2)))=λ, λ=6.60*10^-7
V= h^2/2meλ^2
...((6.626*10^-34)^2/((2*(9.11*10^-31)(1.6*10^-19)(6.60*10^-7)^2))= 3*10^-6 volts
[/B]
This is a question I got wrong on a previous homework and I am still trying to figure out how to correctly figure this out. I just am unsure if I am even doing this correctly and I have tried this in quite a few ways.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello. Can you explain why you chose n(i) = 2 and n(f) = 3 ? Note that the atoms are initially in the ground state. The electrons must excite the atoms from their ground state to the appropriate energy level for which the first Balmer line can subsequently be produced.

I chose 2 because that is where the Balmer lines start so that is what I assumed I must use. If that is wrong may you elaborate on where I should begin at?

The atom cannot emit light unless it is first excited into an excited state. Where does the energy come from to excite the atom? Also, to what minimum energy level must the atom be excited in order to be able to emit one of the Balmer lines?

The first excited state is -13.6Ev/4= -3.4eV is where the Balmer lines start due to the n=2 is the point after the ground state. Also you excite the atom through collisions to bump one from one state to another. Would I use E = q*V and just subtract the first state from the 2nd? Such as -13.6Ev/1.6*10^-19C - -3.4 eV/1.6*10^-19C= -6.38 *10^19 Volts would be the potential difference?

Last edited:
You need to look into what the Balmer series represents (I think there's a Wikipedia article that explains the various series fairly well, if memory serves). In short, the series is a result of electrons jumping down to the 2nd state. In order to jump down to the second state they must first be kicked up to a higher state than that...

1. What is the minimum potential difference in the Balmer series?

The minimum potential difference in the Balmer series refers to the minimum amount of energy that is required to excite an electron in a hydrogen atom from its ground state to a higher energy level. This energy is equal to the difference between the energy levels of the electron.

2. How is the minimum potential difference related to the Balmer series?

The Balmer series is a set of spectral lines in the visible light region that are emitted from excited hydrogen atoms. These lines correspond to different energy levels that the electron can transition to. The minimum potential difference is the energy difference between the first two energy levels in the Balmer series.

3. What is the significance of the minimum potential difference in the Balmer series?

The minimum potential difference in the Balmer series is significant because it provides a precise measure of the energy levels in a hydrogen atom. This energy difference is also used to calculate the wavelengths of the spectral lines in the Balmer series, which can give insight into the structure of the atom.

4. How is the minimum potential difference calculated in the Balmer series?

The minimum potential difference in the Balmer series can be calculated using the Rydberg formula, which is given by 1/λ = R(1/n_final^2 - 1/n_initial^2), where λ is the wavelength of the spectral line, R is the Rydberg constant, and n_final and n_initial are the final and initial energy levels, respectively.

5. Is the minimum potential difference the same for all elements in the Balmer series?

No, the minimum potential difference in the Balmer series is specific to hydrogen atoms. Other elements may have different energy levels and therefore different minimum potential differences. The Balmer series only applies to hydrogen because it has a single electron, making its energy levels more straightforward to calculate compared to elements with multiple electrons.