1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minimum problem involving rates and basic trig

1. Mar 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A man at point A on the shore of a circular lake of radius 1mi wants to reach the opposite point C as soon as possible. He can walk 6mi/h and row his boat 3mi/h. At what angle theta to the diameter AC should he row?

3. The attempt at a solution

My diagram looks like this: I first drew the diameter of the circle AC with A being on the left. Next, I called the point to which the man should row B and I drew a line from A to B (B being somewhere between theta = 0 and theta = pi/2). Finally, I drew another line from O (the center of the lake) to B. Therefore, angle CAB = theta and angle COB = 2theta. Moreover, AC=2, so OB=1, AO=1, and OC=1.

My initial equation for the shortest total time that it will take the man to reach point C is:

T = AB/3 + 2theta/6

Now, I know that I need to calculate the derivative of T and set it equal to zero to minimize T. However, I'm not sure how to calculate AB.

By the law of cosines:

(AB)2=AO2 + OB2 -2ab(cosAOB), which equals:

(AB)2=12 + 12 - 2cos(AB) or 2-2cos(AOB)

This is where I get confused. I set cos(AOB) equal to cos(2theta - 2pi), but that isn't working out for me. The correct answer has AB = 2cos(theta). I've been working at this for a while and I don't understand how to get AB = 2cos(theta). I would greatly appreciate your help.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2010 #2
    I figured this out, if anyone is interested. I set AOB equal to cos(pi-2theta) instead of cos(theta - 2pi).

(AB)2 = 2 - 2cos(pi - 2theta)
    (AB)2=2-2(cos(pi)cos(2theta) + sin(pi)(2sin(theta)cos(theta))
    Because cos(pi)=-1 and sin(pi)=0, we have
    (AB)2 = 2-2(-cos(2theta))
    (AB)2=2(1+cos(2theta))
    (AB)2=2(2cos2(theta)
    (AB)2=4cos2(theta)
    AB=sqrt[4cos2(theta)]
    AB=2cos(theta)

Therefore, the shortest total time is

T=(2cos(theta))/3 + (2theta)/6

T'=[-2sin(theta) +1]/3
    Setting T' equal to zero yields sin(theta)=1/2

Therefore, theta equals pi/6.

However, T''=[-2cos(theta)]/3, so the critical point sin(theta)=1/2 is a maximum. Is this right? Shouldn't it be a minimum?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook