Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minkowski metric tensor computation

1. Sep 13, 2009 #1
    Hi, I'm having problem with understanding tensors and the Einsteins summation convention, so I decided to start doing explicit calculations, and I'm doing it in the wrong way. Hope someone could help me to clarify the concepts.

In flat spacetime we have [tex]\eta[/tex] with the signature (-+++). Under some coordinate change, say [tex]x_{\mu} \rightarrow x_{\overline{\mu}}[/tex], then the metric changes as [tex]g_{ \overline{\mu} \overline{\nu}}=\frac{ \partial x^{\rho}}{ \partial x_{\overline{\mu}}} \frac{ \partial x^{\sigma}}{ \partial x_{\overline{\nu}}}g_{ \overline{\rho} \overline{\sigma}}[/tex]. So, If I change the coordinate system from Cartesian [tex](t,x,y,z)[/tex] to spherical [tex](t,r, \theta, \varphi)[/tex] with the following equations

[tex] x = r \cos(\varphi) \cos (\theta)[/tex], [tex] y = r \cos(\varphi) \sin (\theta)[/tex], [tex] z = r \sin(\varphi) [/tex], [tex] t = t [/tex]. The four non-zero componentes of the metric [tex]\eta[/tex] in spherical coordinates should be:

[tex]g_{11} = (\frac{ \partial t }{ \partial t })^2 g_{1'1'}=-1[/tex]

[tex]g_{22} =(\frac{ \partial x }{ \partial r })^2 g_{2'2'}=\cos^2(\varphi) \cos^2 (\theta)[/tex]

[tex]g_{33} =(\frac{ \partial y }{ \partial \theta })^2 g_{3'3'}=r^2 \cos^2(\varphi) \cos^2 (\theta)[/tex]

[tex]g_{44} =(\frac{ \partial z }{ \partial \varphi })^2 g_{4'4'}=r^2 \cos^2(\varphi)[/tex]

And finally, the line element [tex]ds^2=g_{\mu \nu}dx^{\mu}dx^{\nu}=dt^2+\cos^2(\varphi) \cos^2 dr^2+ r^2 \cos^2(\varphi) \cos^2 d^2 \theta + r^2 \cos^2(\varphi) d^2 \varphi[/tex] wich is incorrect.

Thanks for your time, any help will be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2009 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

Did you sum over the repeated indices in the change of coordinates formula (summation convention)?

4. Sep 13, 2009 #3
    I think I did, in fact it explains the square of the derivatives.

5. Sep 13, 2009 #4

atyy

Science Advisor

I'm not sure about this, but I think in grr you should have terms like (dt/dr)^2.gtt+(dx/dr)^2.gxx+(dy/dr)^2.gyy+(dz/dr)^2+(dt/dr)(dx/dr)gtr + ....

where in your formula I've taken u=r,v=r and rho and sigma must be summed over all combinations of rho=t,x,y,x and sigma=t,x,y,z

6. Sep 13, 2009 #5
    Thanks for your posts.

I think now I understand your point. Do you mean that, in the equation of the line element should be 4*4=16 summands instead of only four, by varying the ro and sigma indices between all their range?

7. Sep 13, 2009 #6
    Ok, just answered too fast!

Then this was my error, thank you so much!

8. Sep 13, 2009 #7

atyy

Science Advisor

Wow, you sure compute fast! Good to know - I wasn't sure about this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook