Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MIPS assembly progr.-factorial calculation

1. May 10, 2013 #1
    I'm trying to write a MIPS assembly program that implements the calculation of n! Well i wouldn't be here if i were successful.When i try to run the following code on PCSpim this appears on the screen:
    "Exception 6 [Bad instruction address] occured and ignored"
    Can anyone help me find my errors?i think my head is going to explode!

Thanks in advance...

Here is my code:

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Can you identify the line of code that causes the exception? There should be a debugger in PCSPIM that you can use to single-step through your code.

One thing that seems odd to me is that you have some data with no labels.
    Here's some MIPS code that uses labels:
    Code (Text):
        .data   0x10000100
    first:      .word   0
    last:       .word   0
    mid:        .word   0

4. May 11, 2013 #3
    Well thank you very much for your respond but i've changed my code and now i'm facing a false result/calculation .I guess that in my previous program there was a problem with memory allocation in the stack.The reason i have these (.data 0x10008000 .word 10) is because i wanted for example to calculate 10!When im running my new code though, i come up with an odd result(a very big obscure number)
    i've been working on this new improved code for the last 8 hours with no results!Take a look if you want to help me.Thanks in advance :)
    Here's my new code!
    Code (Text):
    .data 0x10008000
    .word 10
    .word 1
    .word 0
    .ascii "The factorial of 10 is %d \n"
    .text
    .globl main

main:
                    addi $sp,$sp,-32
                sw $ra,20($sp)
                    sw $fp,16($sp)
                    addiu $fp,$sp,28
                lw $a0,0($gp) #$a0=10
                jal fact

add $a1,$v0,$zero

jal printf

lw $ra,20($sp)
                    lw $fp,16($sp)
                addi $sp,$sp,32
                jr $ra

fact:        
                    addi $sp,$sp,-32
                sw $ra,20($sp)
                    sw $fp,16($sp)
                    addiu $fp,$sp,28

sw $a0,0($fp)

lw $v0,0($fp)

li $t0,1
                    slti $t1,$v0,1
                bne $t1,$t0,L2
                addi $v0,$zero,1
                    jr L1

L1:
                    lw $ra,20($sp)
                    lw $fp,16($sp)
                    addiu $sp,$sp,32
                    jr $ra

L2:
                     lw $v1,0($fp)
                     addi $v0,$v1,-1
                     add  $a0,$v0,$zero
                     jal fact
                     lw $v1,0($fp)
                     mul $v0,$v0,$v1                

printf:

li $v0,4
        la $a0,12($gp)
        syscall

li $v0,1   
        add $a0,$a1,$zero
        syscall

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  5. May 12, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I get it that you want to calculate 10!, but my question was, why aren't you using labels for your data values?
    I tried running your code using QtSpim, which I believe is a more recent version.

So I wouldn't have to single-step through so much code, I changed the value from 10 to 3, which should return 6.

I don't know exactly what your problem is, but I can't figure out where you code is storing its computed values (that's where using labels for your data would be helpful!).

I get the same bogus value that you did, 2147482573, that is output in the last couple of lines of your printf routine.

Code (Text):
        li $v0,1   
        add $a0,$a1,$zero
        syscall

Using the debugger, I see that the values in the relevant registers are as follows:
    a0: 7ffffb2c
    v0: 1 (this is the value for syscall to print an int)

It seems that you are loading a0 with an address rather than the value to print. If I check memory location 7ffffb2c, I see the value (as decimal) 2147482573.

For me, since I was calculating 3!, the code should have displayed 6, but I don't see that 6 has been stored anywhere.

I don't understand your algorithm well enough to follow what you're trying to do. I would strongly urge you to use the debugger so that you can figure out why you aren't getting the right value. For testing, try a smaller value. If you can revise your code so that it will calculate, say, 3!, it will likely work for 10! as well.

6. May 12, 2013 #5
    Thank you very much for taking a look into this abysmal code :) i appreciate it!!im going to work it again ,more serious this time!god...i hate assembly

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook