Missing exponent in "Theoretical Minimum"?

In summary, the authors in "The Theoretical Minimum" (the one on classical mechanics) apply the Euler-Lagrange equation to the Lagrangian, resulting in the equation $$\ddot r=r\dot \theta^2-\frac {GM} {r^2}$$. The original version of the book lacked both exponents in the result, but a correction has been made for the first exponent. However, the second exponent is still missing in the online errata. It is important to carefully check all equations for typos before publishing.
SamRoss
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Is there a missing exponent in the authors' application of the Euler-Lagrange equation?
In "The Theoretical Minimum" (the one on classical mechanics), on page 218, the authors write a Lagrangian

$$L=\frac m 2 (\dot r^2 +r^2\dot \theta ^2)+\frac {GMm} r$$

They then apply the Euler-Lagrange equation ##\frac d {dt}\frac {dL} {d\dot r}=\frac {dL} {dr}## (I know there should be partial derivatives there but I couldn't find the symbol for it in my Latex primer; if anyone could enlighten me, I'd appreciate it) and wrote the result...

$$\ddot r=r\dot \theta^2-\frac {GM} r$$

My question is, shouldn't the last r in the denominator be squared since it results from differentiating the GMm/r term in the Lagrangian by r?

Physics news on Phys.org
Indeed, there should be an ##r^2## in the denominator.

Likes dextercioby and Ibix
...and \partial gives you ##\partial##.

Likes SamRoss and vanhees71
vanhees71 said:
Indeed, there should be an ##r^2## in the denominator.

Thanks, I thought so. The original version of the book apparently lacked both exponents in the result. The online errata for the book shows that, as a correction, the first exponent (above theta dot) was put in but the second exponent is still missing. Weird. However, on the next page of the book the entire equation is written out again, correctly this time. I hadn't moved on to that page before making this post.

Well unfortunately typos are very persistent beasts. That's why you havd to carefully check all the formulae yourself in every writing, wherever published!

Likes SamRoss

1. What is "Theoretical Minimum"?

"Theoretical Minimum" is a term coined by physicist Leonard Susskind to describe the fundamental concepts and principles in physics that are necessary for a comprehensive understanding of the subject.

2. What is the significance of the missing exponent in "Theoretical Minimum"?

The missing exponent in "Theoretical Minimum" refers to the fact that there is no specific number or value associated with this term. It is used to emphasize the idea that the minimum level of understanding required for a subject is not a fixed quantity, but rather a continuous pursuit of knowledge and understanding.

3. How is "Theoretical Minimum" related to other fields of science?

"Theoretical Minimum" is primarily focused on the field of physics, but many of its concepts and principles are applicable to other fields of science, such as mathematics and engineering. It provides a foundation for understanding and exploring various scientific disciplines.

4. Who is "Theoretical Minimum" intended for?

"Theoretical Minimum" is intended for anyone interested in gaining a deeper understanding of physics, from beginners to advanced scientists. It is also a useful resource for students studying physics or related fields.

5. How can "Theoretical Minimum" be applied in real-world situations?

The concepts and principles learned through "Theoretical Minimum" can be applied in various real-world situations, such as designing new technologies, understanding natural phenomena, and developing scientific theories. It provides a strong foundation for further exploration and application of physics in the real world.