1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Misunderstanding problem solution

1. Dec 27, 2008 #1
    Hey all,

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This isn't really homework, just looking through a particular book (Spivak's Calculus, 3rd ed) and trying to see if my understanding of a problem is clear or not.

Problem 9, page 107, for those of you following along at home.

Prove that:

[itex]\lim_{x \to a} f(x) = \lim_{h \to 0} f(a + h)[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Now, the book gives the following answer:

Let [itex]l = \lim_{x \to a} f(x)[/itex] and define [itex]g(h) = f(a + h)[/itex]. Then for every [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] there is a [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that, for all x, if [itex]0 < |x - a| < \delta[/itex] then [itex]|f(x) - l| < \epsilon[/itex]. Now, if [itex]0 < |h| < \delta[/itex] then [itex]0 < |(h + a) - a| < \delta[/itex] so [itex]|f(a + h) - l| < \epsilon[/itex]. This inequality can be written [itex]|g(h) - l| < \epsilon[/itex]. Thus [itex]\lim_{h \to 0} g(h) = l[/itex], which can be also written [itex]\lim_{h \to 0} f(a + h) = l[/itex]. The same sort of argument shows that if [itex]\lim_{h \to 0} f(a + h) = m[/itex], then [itex]\lim_{x \to a} f(x) = m[/itex]. So either limit exists if the other does, and in this case, they are equal.

3. The attempt at a solution

Now it appears to me that the author is making the a priori assumption that:

[itex]\lim_{x \to a} f(x) = L[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{h \to 0} f(a + h) = L[/itex]

and using that in his proof to show the two are equal. But I'm doubtful this is a legitimate jump.

Let's do a different setup and I'll show you want I mean.

Given [itex]\lim_{x \to a} f(x) = L[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{h \to 0} f(a + h) = M[/itex] , prove [itex]\lim_{x \to a} f(x) = \lim_{h \to 0} f(a + h)[/itex]

[itex]0 < |x - a| < \delta[/itex] implies [itex]|f(x) - L| < \epsilon[/itex]

Now if

[itex]0 < |h| < \delta[/itex] then

[itex]0 < |(h + a) - a| < \delta[/itex] implies [itex]|f(a + h) - M| < \epsilon[/itex]

Oh wait, we can't go any further.. The two are not necessarily equal because L might not equal M.

So I'm pretty sure the book is right and I'm wrong.. so what's the error in my logic?

- Rob

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The reason why |f(a+h)-L|<epsilon isn't because of a separate assumption that f(a+h) has a limit. It's because you can substitute h+a for x in the first limit. h+a is one of the values of x such that |x-a|<delta.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?