Mixing Differential Equation - need confirmation of the process.

In summary, the problem involves finding the flow rate of a ventilation fan in order to keep the amount of impurities in a box under a certain threshold after 4 hours. The equation used to solve for the flow rate is based on the assumption that the rate of change of impurities is equal to the flow rate times the current amount of impurities divided by the volume of the box. The final flow rate calculated is 552.62 cubic feet per hour.
Malitic
Mixing Differential Equation -- need confirmation of the process.

Homework Statement

There is a box with 320 cubic feet of air mixed with .2 pounds of some some impurity. A small ventilation fan is added to the box at one end. Find the flow rate (R) of the fan as such that no more than .0002 pounds of impurities remain in the box after 4 hours.

Variables:
I = the amount of impurities remaining in the box in pounds - @ t = 0, I = .2; @ T=4, I = .0002

R = the flow rate of the fan in cubic feet per hour- unknown must be solved for.

The Attempt at a Solution

My assumption is that: ( units are in brackets)
[tex]\frac{dI}{dt} = 0 - R \frac{ft^3}{h}* \frac{I(t)}{320} \frac{lbs}{ft^3} = - R * \fracI(t)}{320} \frac{lbs}{h}[/tex]

This equation now can be integrated to find:
[tex]I = .2 e^{-\frac{R}{320} T}[/tex]

Next we plugin the T we have and the impurities (I) at time t, and we get the flow rate of R = 552.62

Up until this point is the work and logic correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it looks good.

Thank you.

1. What is a mixing differential equation?

A mixing differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the rate of change of a substance in a mixture over time. It takes into account the amount of a substance being added or removed from the mixture, as well as the rate at which it is being mixed.

2. How is a mixing differential equation solved?

A mixing differential equation can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors. The specific method used will depend on the form of the equation and the initial conditions.

3. Can a mixing differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a mixing differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the equation is a mathematical model that approximates real-world phenomena, and there can be different ways to interpret and solve the equation depending on the specific situation.

4. What are some real-world applications of mixing differential equations?

Mixing differential equations are commonly used in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering to model the mixing of substances in various processes. For example, they can be used to study chemical reactions, heat transfer, and fluid dynamics.

5. How do I know if a mixing differential equation accurately represents a real-world situation?

The accuracy of a mixing differential equation depends on the assumptions and simplifications made in the model. To determine if it accurately represents a real-world situation, it is important to compare the results of the equation with experimental data or observations. If the results match closely, then the equation can be considered a good representation of the situation.