1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modeling a quad rotor vibrations

1. Dec 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a system of five coupled ODEs. I believe I should be able to reduce it down to four coupled ODEs, but I am not sure how. This system is modeling a quad X rotor where the arms are viewed as end loaded cantilever beams with motors attached.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    \begin{align}
    m_{eq}\ddot{y}_1 &= k_{eq}(y_5 - y_1) + c(\dot{y}_5 - \dot{y}_1) + F_1(t)\tag{1}\\
    m_{eq}\ddot{y}_2 &= k_{eq}(y_5 - y_2) + c(\dot{y}_5 - \dot{y}_2) + F_2(t)\tag{2}\\
    m_{eq}\ddot{y}_3 &= k_{eq}(y_5 - y_3) + c(\dot{y}_5 - \dot{y}_3) + F_3(t)\tag{3}\\
    m_{eq}\ddot{y}_4 &= k_{eq}(y_5 - y_4) + c(\dot{y}_5 - \dot{y}_4) + F_4(t)\tag{4}\\
    m_t\ddot{y}_5 &= F_1(t) + F_2(t) + F_3(t) + F_4(t) \tag{5}
    \end{align}

This system is modeling the vibrations of quadrotor due to the motors spinnings. Also, I am trying to determine the initial conditions too. If we assume at ##t = 0##, we have no displacement then ##y_i(0) = 0## and ##\dot{y}_i = a_i\delta(t)##. My thought on the initial velocity is at ##t = 0## the rotors start running at flying speed (instantly to make the problem easier). Would this be the correct way to model the initial velocity? Also, ##F_i(t) = c_i\cos(\omega t + \phi_i)## where ##c_i## are the amplitudes, ##\omega## the rad/sec of the rotors, and ##\phi## the phase offset.

Is equation (5) correct for modeling the movement of the center of the quadrotor?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2014 #2
    Do you have a picture showing the system and your coordinates?

4. Dec 5, 2014 #3
    I am using z to denote the displacement of the body (where the arms connect) only. Also, I am viewing the arms as cantilever beams with an end load.

It is just a normal X quad rotor. I have, also, made some adjustments. I think the system should be of the form:
    1. I noticed I neglected gravity. Would that be simple adding the term
    ##-m_{eq}y_i## to equations one to four and ##-m_bz##? Or is it more
    involved?
    2. Do I still need ##m_t\ddot{y}_5 = \sum_iF_i(t)## any more? Is it correct in this form?

Here is one of my thoughts for final system of ODE form. Is it correct?
    \begin{align}
    m_{eq}\ddot{y}_1 &= k_{eq}(z - y_1) + c(\dot{z} - \dot{y}_1) - m_{eq}y_1 +
    F_1(t)\\
    m_{eq}\ddot{y}_2 &= k_{eq}(z - y_2) + c(\dot{z} - \dot{y}_2) - m_{eq}y_2 +
    F_2(t)\\
    m_{eq}\ddot{y}_3 &= k_{eq}(z - y_3) + c(\dot{z} - \dot{y}_3) - m_{eq}y_3 +
    F_3(t)\\
    m_{eq}\ddot{y}_4 &= k_{eq}(z - y_4) + c(\dot{z} - \dot{y}_4) - m_{eq}y_4 +
    F_4(t)\\
    m_b\ddot{z} &= \sum_i\bigl[F_i(t) + k_{eq}(y_i - z) +
    c(\dot{y}_i - \dot{z})\bigr] - m_bz\\
    m_t\ddot{y}_5 &= \sum_iF_i(t) - m_ty_5\tag{6}\\
    Y &= \frac{m_bz + \sum_im_{eq}y_i}{m_t}\tag{7}
    \end{align}
    Is equation (6) needed? It is modeling the overall displacement of the quadrotor. Equation (7) is my constraint.

5. Dec 6, 2014 #4
    I don't speak quad rotor, so I probably cannot help you without a figure,

6. Dec 6, 2014 #5
  7. Dec 7, 2014 #6
    I did not see a single one of those figures that identified with certainty the coordinate you are using. If you cannot be bothered to draw a figure, then please don't expect too much help.

8. Dec 7, 2014 #7
    I guess I need to break it down Barney style for you. There are 4 arms so y_i where i is 1,2,3,4 are the arm displacement. I then said the body I am using z. That means the equation which isn't a constraint must be the displacement of the whole quad rotor if we view it as a rigid body. Also the arms have the rotors so the forcing functions should have been a give away too. Equation 7 is a COM constraint equation. Are you sure you are a Dr of anything?

9. Dec 7, 2014 #8
    If I were interested in working this problem myself, I would not need to ask for help. I'm not interested in the problem personally, so anything I have said was intended to get you thinking straight. Without a good figure, you are not likely to ever get the problem in hand.

I see some problems with your formulation, but I'm not going to try to point them out to you. It would require a figure, and you evidently consider such a thing childish and beneath your dignity.

Don't worry too much about my Ph.D., even though it is almost 50 years old. It is still quite durable.

I don't think I have any more time for you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted