1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modeling an electron in a Magnetic Field

1. Dec 2, 2006 #1
    I'm not sure where to place this, so please forgive me.

As you know, an electron experiences a force of F = qVxB in a magnetic field and equating this to centripetral force, we can find the radius of the electron's path to be R = mv/qB Ok, that's simple enough.

Now, I want to model an electron via 3D graphing in a magnetic field. For this, I need to model every part of its trajectory. This is proving tricky.

Say we have:

Bx = 0
    By = 0
    Bz = 1 micro tesla

The initial electron is coming in at

Vx = 0
    Vy = 1.5e8 m/s
    Vz = 0

The cross product is

Fx = q(VyBz - ByVz)
    Fy = q(VxBz - VzBx)
    Fz = q(VxBy - VyBx)

Now the acceleration is just a = F / m

However, For ax I'm getting 4.23e13 m/s^2! which is a wee bit high. Ok, just plain wrong. How would you generate an animation of an electon in a magnetic field? I would like to extend it so the magnetic field osccilates and varies with amplitude versus time.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2006 #2
    What is the mass value you used ? Besides, how do you know the value you got is too high ? What exactly did you do.

Anyhow, the approach and formula's are OK.

If you wanna incorporate a t-dependent B field, you just need to integrate over time (once and twice) to get velocity and then the trajectory. How does the B field vary (sine, cosine) and along which direction (x,y,z) ? if you know this, just add the components into the right hand side of Fx, Fy and Fz. divide by m to get a and then you start the integrations...

4. Dec 2, 2006 #3
    I used the charge of an electron as 1.6022e-19 C and the mass as 9.1e-31 kg which is a charge to mass ratio of 1.76e11!!!!

My plan was to do it iteratively. To calculate vx, vy, and vz and use rx = rx + vx*dt etc to plot the positions.
  5. Dec 2, 2006 #4
    You are forgetting the [tex]t^2[/tex] term. There is a force acting on your system so you also need the [tex]a_x[/tex] part in your equation for [tex]r_x[/tex] !!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?