Modeling mass-spring-dashpot system

In summary, the problem involves finding the smallest time t>0 for which the mass-spring-dashpot system with given initial conditions reaches x(t)=0. The solution involves solving the differential equation and using the characteristic equation to find the general solution. The final solution is obtained by finding the values of A and B and solving for the specific time t when x(t)=0.
Kavorka

Homework Statement

Suppose that the mass in a mass-spring-dashpot system with m = 25, c = 10, and k = 226 is set in motion with x(0) = 2 and x'(0) = 4. Find the smallest time t>0 for which x(t) = 0

Homework Equations

mx'' + cx' + kx = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I rushed through this a bit due to lack of time today so there may be mistakes, I just need to be sure I'm doing this correctly.

The differential equation is: 25x'' + 10x' + 226x = 0
Which has the characteristic equation: 25r2 + 10r + 226 = 0
with roots: r = -(1/5) +/- 3i

Giving the general solution:
x(t) = e-(1/5)t(Acos(3t) + Bsin(3t))

Plugging in the initial conditions:
x(0) = 2 = A

x'(t) = -(1/5)Ae-(1/5)tcos(3t) -3A e-(1/5)tsin(3t) - (1/5)e-(1/5)tsin(3t) + 3Be-(1/5)tcos(3t)

x'(0) = 4 = -(1/5)(2) + 3B
B = 22/15

Finding combined solution:
x(t) = Ce-(1/5)tcos(3t-a)

C = (A2 + B2)1/2 = 3(346)1/2/15

a = tan-1(B/A) = 0.6327 radians

x(t) = (3(346)1/2/15)e-(1/5)tcos(3t - 0.6327)

If this is right (it seems too messy, might have messed up), how would I solve it when equal to zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kavorka said:
Giving the general solution:
x(t) = e-(1/5)t(Acos(3t) + Bsin(3t))
For which you find A and B correctly A correctly.The first factor is > 0, so basically all you want to solve is
Acos(3t) + Bsin(3t) = 0​
And that's not so hard.

And if you want the other form, same thing: solving cos(3t - atan(B/A)) = 0 should be enough -- and give the same result :rolleyes:

Something's wrong with your general solution, though, so fix that first !

Last edited:
I checked again, and with Wolfram, and I did get A and B right. C should be 2(346)^0.5 /15 though. When I solve cos(3t - 0.6327) = 0, I get t = 0.7345 which isn't right. This answer x2 is right though, and I'm not sure why.

Edit: misunderstanding, my answer is right.

Last edited:
Yeah, B was 62/45. Well done!

What is a mass-spring-dashpot system?

A mass-spring-dashpot system is a physical system that consists of a mass, a spring, and a dashpot (or damper). The mass is a point that has a certain amount of inertia, the spring provides a restoring force, and the dashpot dissipates energy through damping.

How is a mass-spring-dashpot system modeled?

A mass-spring-dashpot system can be modeled using a second-order differential equation known as the equation of motion. This equation takes into account the forces acting on the system and describes the motion of the mass as a function of time.

What are the applications of modeling a mass-spring-dashpot system?

Modeling a mass-spring-dashpot system is useful in many engineering and scientific fields, such as structural engineering, mechanical engineering, and physics. It can be used to study the behavior of structures, design shock absorbers, and analyze vibrations in systems.

What factors affect the behavior of a mass-spring-dashpot system?

The behavior of a mass-spring-dashpot system is affected by several factors, including the properties of the mass (such as its mass and initial position), the stiffness of the spring, and the damping coefficient of the dashpot. Additionally, external forces and initial conditions can also impact the system's behavior.

How can a mass-spring-dashpot system be analyzed?

There are several methods for analyzing a mass-spring-dashpot system, including analytical methods (such as solving the equation of motion) and numerical methods (such as using computer simulations). These methods can help determine the system's response to different inputs and initial conditions.