Modelling Motion (Angular Speed etc.)

In summary, angular speed is the rate at which an object rotates or moves around a fixed point and is measured in radians per second or degrees per second. It can be calculated by dividing the angle covered by an object by the time taken to cover that angle. It is different from linear speed, which is the rate at which an object moves in a straight line. Angular speed is also different from angular velocity, which takes into account both magnitude and direction of rotation. Angular speed is used in modeling rotational and circular motion and is directly proportional to centripetal acceleration.
Ted123
[PLAIN]http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/6579/mechanics2.jpg

I've done the first bit (showing [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]\dot{x}[/itex] are always perpendicular) but how do I show that the motion lies in a plane? Also, how do I do the final part?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That should say I've already shown [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]\dot{x}[/itex] are always perpendicular to [itex]b[/itex] . I did this by deriving a 2nd order linear ODE, finding the general solution and then applying the initial conditions.

I'm just stuck on how to proceed with the next parts of the question. Can anyone help?

1. What is angular speed and how is it different from linear speed?

Angular speed is the rate at which an object rotates or moves around a fixed point. It is commonly measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (°/s). Linear speed, on the other hand, is the rate at which an object moves in a straight line. It is measured in units such as meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s).

2. How is angular speed calculated?

Angular speed can be calculated by dividing the angle covered by an object in a given time by the time taken to cover that angle. The formula for calculating angular speed is ω = θ/t, where ω is the angular speed, θ is the angle (in radians) and t is the time (in seconds).

3. What is the difference between angular speed and angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a vector quantity that describes the rate at which an object rotates or moves around a fixed axis, taking into account both the magnitude and direction of the rotation. On the other hand, angular speed is a scalar quantity that only describes the magnitude of the rotation, without considering the direction.

4. How does angular speed affect centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration of an object towards the center of its circular path. It is directly proportional to the square of the angular speed. This means that as the angular speed increases, the centripetal acceleration also increases, making the object move faster in its circular path.

5. How is angular speed used in modeling motion?

Angular speed is an important factor in modeling rotational motion, such as the motion of a spinning top or a rotating planet. It is also used in studying the motion of objects moving in a circular or curved path, such as a car making a turn or a rollercoaster going around a loop. By understanding the angular speed of these objects, scientists can make predictions and create mathematical models to accurately describe their motion.