Finding the Time of Max and 0 Angular Speed

Since you already know that the parabola intersects the ##\omega## axis at ##\omega = 0##, you can determine where the maximum point is by setting ##-1.8(t - a)^2 = 0##.
Raymour
20170730_164233.jpg

Homework Statement

Mod note: Fixed thread title. OOPS NOT Acceleration, Speed! (Thread title is incorrect)

Homework Equations

w=d∅/dt
v=rw
x={+,-√(b2-4ac)}/2a

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved this with help from Chegg study, however, I'm still not entirely sure what I am doing. Obviously, for part a, you differentiate the position to get the angular velocity which is w=5t-1.8t2. At that point I struggled. Chegg answers simply differentiated twice to find the time of maximum angular speed as 1.39 s. Is that because ∝=5-3.6t gives the time of maximum acceleration? and therefore max speed?

My first instinct was to perform the quadratic of the speed equation to give me t= 2.78 s and 1.39 s. One is the time of max speed and one is when it is zero (aka part c for when it will reverse direction)... How do I know which is which other than having ruled 1.39 out in part a? For part c, Chegg used the equation t(5t-1.8t2)=0 to find the time.But I'm not sure where that equation came from. Where are they taking the t out front from? Is there a better way to do this? Once I can get the time, I am fine to solve the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Raymour said:
View attachment 208018

Homework Statement

Mod note: Fixed thread title. OOPS NOT Acceleration, Speed! (Thread title is incorrect)

Homework Equations

w=d∅/dt
v=rw
x={+,-√(b2-4ac)}/2a

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved this with help from Chegg study, however, I'm still not entirely sure what I am doing. Obviously, for part a, you differentiate the position to get the angular velocity which is w=5t-1.8t2. At that point I struggled. Chegg answers simply differentiated twice to find the time of maximum angular speed as 1.39 s. Is that because ∝=5-3.6t gives the time of maximum acceleration? and therefore max speed?
Although you could differentiate again, in this case it isn't required. Your angular velocity, ##\omega(t)##, is a quadratic polynomial whose graph is a parabola, so to find the times where ##\omega## is zero, simply solve the equation ##5t - 1.8t^2 = 0##. Note that there will be two times.
To find the max. angular velocity, locate the vertex of the parabola.
Raymour said:
My first instinct was to perform the quadratic of the speed equation to give me t= 2.78 s and 1.39 s.
One is the time of max speed and one is when it is zero (aka part c for when it will reverse direction)... How do I know which is which other than having ruled 1.39 out in part a? For part c, Chegg used the equation t(5t-1.8t2)=0 to find the time.But I'm not sure where that equation came from.
See what I wrote above. If you recognize that the graph of the angular velocity is a parabola, it should be straightforward to figure out which one is the max. point, and which is a point where ##\omega## is zero.
Raymour said:
The answer they showed (2.78 s) does not really show what they did with that equation. Is there a better way to do this? Once I can get the time, I am fine to solve the rest.

Likes Raymour
Mark44 said:
Although you could differentiate again, in this case it isn't required. Your angular velocity, ##\omega(t)##, is a quadratic polynomial whose graph is a parabola, so to find the times where ##\omega## is zero, simply solve the equation ##5t - 1.8t^2 = 0##. Note that there will be two times.
To find the max. angular velocity, locate the vertex of the parabola.
See what I wrote above. If you recognize that the graph of the angular velocity is a parabola, it should be straightforward to figure out which one is the max. point, and which is a point where ##\omega## is zero.

I suppose that means I should start taking my graphing calculator to exams! Once I graphed it, I saw it immediately. Thank you! How do I solve this via equations, though? So differentiating twice solves the time of max speed. Is there any other method than graphing to find when the speed is 0? I mean I see how they solved t(5t-1.8t2), however I have no clue where they got the t out front from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Raymour said:
I suppose that means I should start taking my graphing calculator to exams! Once I graphed it, I saw it immediately. Thank you! How do I solve this via equations, though? So differentiating twice solves the time of max speed. Is there any other method than graphing to find when the speed is 0? I mean I see how they solved t(5t-1.8t2), however I have no clue where they got the t out front from.
A graphing calculator isn't necessary, but recognizing a quadratic function is necessary. To find the ##\omega## intercepts, solve the equation ##5t - 1.8t^2 = 0##, which you can do by factoring to ##t(5 - 1.8t) = 0##. To find the maximum point complete the square in ##\omega = 5t - 1.8t^2##. This will result in ##\omega = -1.8(t - a)^2##, where a is the coordinate of the vertex.

1. What is the meaning of "finding the time of max and 0 angular speed"?

"Finding the time of max and 0 angular speed" refers to determining the exact moment in time when an object or system reaches its maximum rotational speed and when it comes to a complete stop, respectively. This is often used to study the dynamics and behavior of rotating systems.

2. How is the time of max and 0 angular speed calculated?

The time of max and 0 angular speed can be calculated using the formula t = (2π)/ω, where t is the time, π is the mathematical constant pi, and ω is the angular velocity in radians per second. This formula assumes that the angular acceleration is constant.

3. Can the time of max and 0 angular speed be measured in different units?

Yes, the time of max and 0 angular speed can be measured in different units such as seconds, minutes, hours, or any other unit of time. However, it is important to note that the units used for angular velocity (ω) must also be consistent with the chosen unit of time.

4. Why is it important to find the time of max and 0 angular speed?

Finding the time of max and 0 angular speed is important for understanding the behavior and performance of rotating systems. It can also provide valuable information for designing and optimizing such systems for various applications, such as in machines, vehicles, and other mechanical devices.

5. Can the time of max and 0 angular speed be influenced by external factors?

Yes, the time of max and 0 angular speed can be influenced by external factors such as friction, air resistance, and other external forces acting on the rotating system. These factors can affect the angular acceleration and ultimately the time it takes for the system to reach its maximum speed or come to a complete stop.