1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modified heat equation steady state

1. Jul 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    determine the steady state equation for the given heat equation and boundary conditions

2. Relevant equations
    Ut=Uxx-4(U-T)
    U(0,T)=T U(4,T)=0 U(x,0)=f(x)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I put Ut=0
    so 0=UInf''-4(Uinf-T)
    then once I tried to integrate I ended up with a Uinf thats impossible to isolate is there a specific method used for this kind of heat equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2011 #2

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

The steady state is usually when the system is time independent, so:
    [tex]
    \frac{\partial U}{\partial t}=0
    [/tex]
    So this will turn your equation into and ODE, which I see you have already done and your ODE is:
    [tex]
    \frac{\partial^{2}U}{\partial x^{2}}-4U+4T=0
    [/tex]
    I am not too sure what T is, is it a constant? A function?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  4. Jul 17, 2011 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you mean by "impossible to isolate". Calling what you call Uinf u(x) for simplicity the equation you have written is just

u''(x) - 4u(x) = -4T
    u(0) = u(T) = 0

A second order constant coefficient ODE.

5. Jul 18, 2011 #4
    I believe T is constant. so I tried using variation of parameters to solve (Uinf=X) X''-4X=-4T
    and came up with a particular solution of
    c1e2x+c2e-2x-T then solved for the constants using boundary conditions. is this method right as all the example I have seen involve just integrating it twice.

6. Jul 18, 2011 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That should work, but I'm guessing it gets a bit messy solving for the constants. Here's a little trick you might like to learn. You probably know that instead of using the pair {e2x,e-2x} for the general solution of the homogeneous equation, you could have used {sinh(2x),cosh(2x)}, which simplifies things a bit when you calculate X(0) = 0. But an even better choice is the pair {sinh(x),sinh(T-x}. Try evaluating the constants when you write your solution

X(x) = Asinh(x)+Bsinh(T-x) + T

and you will see what I mean.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook