Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modifying Coulomb's Law for Use in Particle Energy (chemistry)

1. Aug 17, 2011 #1
    New to PF.

How is the "original" form of coulomb's law F=kQ1Q2/D^2 derived into the modified chemistry form used to predict the energy released when bonds form (or the inverse), E=kQ1Q2/r?

Please describe your mathematical steps. Feel free to just post links explaining this. I've searched everywhere...I'm only a high school student, trying to write a book but do not have the greatest resources.

Thanks in Advance

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2011 #2
    E equals the integral of Force*dx. So that's how you get from force to energy (and vica versa). There's actually a minus sign E=-kQ1Q2/r. There's also a constant of integration but we conventionally say the two particles have zero potential energy when they are infinite distance apart.

4. Aug 17, 2011 #3
    Okay, now that the relationship between E and F is established, I can say that
    dE/dx=-kQ1Q2/d^2. Bu from here, how do I get to the modified form, where r is the denominator.

5. Aug 17, 2011 #4
    dE/dr=(kQ1Q2)r^-2. No minus sign here. We'll ignore the denominator and just say r is raised to the negative two power.

The general form, when df/dr=r^k has solution f(r)=(1/(k+1))r^(k+1).

Ok. So we plug in k=-2 and get (-1)r^(-1). So restoring the constants E=kQ1Q2(-1)r^(-1).

6. Aug 17, 2011 #5
    Ok. I understand how you integrated from dF/dr=r^k to find a solution, but how the heck did you get that differential to begin with? Also, I don't understand where did the k=-2 come from?

Keep in mind, I'm only in high school and my highest level of math education is AP calc AB (which is calc I and half of calc II) so you probably have to be more thorough then when you're usually talking to mathemeticians, physicists, etc.

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook