1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moire pattern and interference of plane EM waves

1. Nov 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Look at the Moire pattern in "Oppgave 5" (assignment 5) in the attached pdf file. The Moire pattern you see is supposed to represent the interference between two plane EM waves whose directional ##\vec{k}## vectors form an angle ##\theta## with eachother.

Anyway, the main question is: "What is the angle ##\theta## between the patterns if the distance between the interference-strips is ##\Lambda = 2mm## and the wavelength of the light is ##\lambda = 550nm##.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

According to the solutions manual, the distance between the interference-strips is given by ##\Delta \vec{k} = \vec{k_2} - \vec{k_1} ##

I do not understand how this is possible. Can somebody explain? This is the only thing I struggle with understanding.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That doesn't seem right for two reasons. First that gives a vector, not a scalar. Did you mean d = ||##\Delta \vec{k} ##||? Secondly, it surely depends on λ.
    Draw a diagram with two sets of parallel lines representing the wave peaks at some instant. Identify the regions of constructive and destructive interference. With a little geometry, find the relationship between d, θ and λ.

4. Nov 22, 2013 #3
    I'm sorry, I was so tired yesterday I didn't explain it. What I meant was:

##\frac{2 \pi}{\Lambda} = |\Delta k|##

thanks for the reply, I'll try that :)

5. Nov 22, 2013 #4
    OK I got it now, thanks. Turns out I was just set astray by the solutions manual as this was really easy...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted