Molecular emission spectra database

• Thread starter rammer
  • Start date
Hi, I am looking for online molecular emission spectra database for spectroscopic analysis of plasma. It would be great if searching in it is based on a wavelength of spectral lines/bands.

For atomic spectra I found this database: http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/ASD/lines_form.html
But I couldn't find anything like that for molecular spectra which is essential for full analysis of spectra.

And my next question is (as I am beginner in spectra analysis) what is the right and most efficient way of analysing spectra? My current procedure is that I find a peak in my spectrum then I search appropriate atoms using the peak wavelength and then I match one atom (the one which has more characteristic lines in my spectrum) for the given peak wavelength. Is there more efficient way?

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
Gold Member
The NIST chemistry webbook has thermochemical and spectroscopic properties for a number of molecules: https://webbook.nist.gov/
My current procedure is that I find a peak in my spectrum then I search appropriate atoms using the peak wavelength and then I match one atom (the one which has more characteristic lines in my spectrum) for the given peak wavelength. Is there more efficient way?
This works fine for atomic absorption/emission, as well as x-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, but for molecular spectroscopy, trying to correlate spectral lines with individual atoms won't work. The spectral features in general are made up of collective motions of nuclei/electrons.