Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrogen/Helium Emission Spectra Temperature Dependence

1. Aug 12, 2015 #1
    Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can find data details of how Emission Spectra depends on temperature for the following materials:

Single Hydrogen
    Molecular Hydrogen (H2)
    Helium

That is, as I heat up each of the above materials by themselves, from room temperature to thousands of degrees, I'd like to know, at each temperature step in my heating gas, which emission lines are the brightest and what the overall visible color of the gas is. I know around 10,000 degrees or so, Hydrogen will be all white.

I'm sure there is data for this somewhere and that's what I'd like to see. I don't really have time to do all the math of integrating plank curves, black-body integrals, etc. I'm sure someone has the experimental data somewhere, I'm just having a hard time finding it and figured astronomers would know best where to look. Any help, even partial, is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Aug 20, 2015 #3
    The main idea is, suppose I had H2 gas and I heat it from room temperature to 10,000 degrees K. How will its overall color change as it gets hotter and hotter? I was hoping for some colors correlated with temperature. I.e., at 2000 deg what color is it, then at 2500 deg what color does it turn to, etc.

I also wanted the same information for single Hydrogen and Helium, if possible.

5. Aug 20, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

At those temperatures (and higher) the free electrons should dominate the emission, so it should look like a black body to a good approximation. See red dwarfs, they have hydrogen and helium in that temperature range.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook