1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment Generating Function Given pdf

1. Nov 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    X is distributed exponentially with λa=2. Y is distributed exponentially with λb = 3. X and Y are independent.
    Let W=max(X,Y), the time until both persons catch their first fish. Let k be a positive integer. Find E(W^k).

Also, find P{(1/3)<X/(X+Y)<(1/2)}

2. Relevant equations
    f(X) = λa e^(-λa x)
    f(Y) = λb e^(-λb y)
    f(X,Y) = f(X)f(Y)
    Mx(t) = E(e^t)
    Mx^k(0)=E(W^k)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found f(w)=3e^(-3w)+2e^(-2w)-5e^(-2w-3w) but not sure where to go from here

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Having found the pdf of W, how do you calculate its moment generating function?
    (You quote that it's E[et], but it's E[etW].)

4. Nov 30, 2012 #3
    That's correct, sorry, typo on my part. It's actually where to go from there that confuses me. I know the ∫0 to ∞((e^tw)f(w)dw gives me Mw(t), so I think ∫0 to ∞ ((w^k)f(w))dw should give me E(W^k), but I don't know how to actually find this or if it is the best way to approach it.

Also, I got the second probability part on my own. I really just need help with the E(W^k).

5. Nov 30, 2012 #4
    I have f(w) = 3e^(-3w)+2e^(-2w)-5e^(-5w), w>0 for the pdf, but I am not sure how to proceed to E(W^k) from here.

6. Nov 30, 2012 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In other words,
    [tex] f(w) = 2e^{-2w} + 3 e^{-3w} - 5e^{-5w} = f_2(w) +f_3(w) - f_5(w),[/tex] where f_r(w) is the exponential density for rate r. Do you know how to compute
    [tex] E_r(W^k) \equiv \int_0^{\infty} r e^{-rw} w^k \, dw ?[/tex]

7. Nov 30, 2012 #6
    My solution: E(X^k) for an exponential is k!/(λ^k), so E(W^k) = k!/(3^k)+k!/(2^k)-k!/(5^k) = k!(10^k + 15^k - 6^k)/(30^k). Say λ=r, and this is exactly what you are saying, yes?

8. Nov 30, 2012 #7
    If not, then I am not sure how to compute an integral involving (w^k)e^(-rw)...

9. Nov 30, 2012 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just to be accurate: No, you are saying it, not me. However, your result is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook