1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment generating function problem

1. Aug 16, 2011 #1
    From the pdf of X, f(x) = 1/8 e^-x/8, x > 0, find the mgf of Y=X/4 +1. What is then the value of P(2.3 < Y < 4.1)?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations
    Moment generating function of exponential distribution

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have the mgf of X, which is 1/8 / (1/8 - t). I have also worked out the mgf of Y, which is e^t (1/8 (1/8 - t/4)), I think. The last part of this problem I've yet to resolve. Please do help!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Please state exactly what definition of mgf you are using; the one that I use (standard, I think) gives a very different result from yours.

As to the second question: I don't think the mgf has any relevance here; you need to relate the interval probabilities of Y to those of X, and use the density of X to compute the result. In other words, {a <= Y <= b} is the same as {a1 <= X <= b1} for some a1 and b1 related to a and b, and you know how to calculate P{a1 <= X <= b1}.

RGV

4. Aug 17, 2011 #3
    I'm using the mgf of exponential: lambda/(lambda -t). So, to obtain the probability, simply integrate the probability density function of X with the values of a1 and b1, is that it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook