1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia about the line x=y

1. Nov 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [tex]\Omega[/tex] represent a two dimensional material region who density is given by [tex]\rho[/tex](x,y). Establish an integral formula for the moment of inertia of the material region about the line y=x.

2. Relevant equations
    The moment of inertia about the x axis: [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex]x2[tex]\rho[/tex](x,y)dA

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am attempting to transform the moment of inertia about the x axis to the line x=y, how would I go about doing this?

Thanks for any help, Jim.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The moment of inertia is the integral of r^2 rho(x,y) dA where r is the distance from the point (x,y) to the axis. That means the expression you gave is the moment of inertia about the y axis, not the x axis. Now you have to replace r in the integral with the distance from a point (x,y) to the line x=y. How many ways do you know to find the distance from a point to a line?

4. Nov 28, 2009 #3
    Thanks for your help. You were right, I mistyped the formula for the moment about the x axis. Using points (x,y) and (y,x) I calculated r2=2x2-4xy+2y2 So the formula would be the integral of this multiplied by rho dA.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  5. Nov 29, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That seems close, but aren't you off by a factor of four there? The distance from (1,0) to the line x=y is sqrt(2)/2. Isn't it? So that makes r^2 for (1,0) r^2=1/2.

6. Nov 29, 2009 #5
    I see. I was using the wrong distance formula. So using the formula for the distance between a point (m,n) and a line Ax+By+c=0 the distance is r= |Am+Bn+C|/ sqrt(A2+B2)
    Using the point (x,y) and the line x-y=0 I calculated the distance r=|x-y|/sqrt(2)
    Does this sound correct?

7. Nov 29, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that sounds correct. So r^2=(x-y)^2/2.

8. Nov 29, 2009 #7
    Yep, thanks so much Dick.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook