1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia about the origin for the lamina

1. Dec 11, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find the moment of inertia about the origin for the lamina which the surface of sphere (x^2) + (y^2) +(z^2) = 9 . z>2 . Given that density is a constant . Here's my wroking

The ans is 16pi (k) , but my ans is different , is my ans wrong ?
    If so , which part is wrong ?
    I have checked thru the working many times, yet , still cant find the error

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2016 #2

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

Note that a moment of inertia is about an axis, not a point. In this case I assume you meant the z axis.

I haven't worked right through your answer, and it contains some errors, for example the expression for ##z## is missing a square root, which however seems to have been assumed below. You then appear to have done a substitution which doesn't seem necessary and makes it more complicated.

I would do this question by integrating over circular bands of constant ##z##, where the mass of each band is ##2 \pi r## times its width which is ##\sqrt{dz^2 + dr^2}## where obviously you need to express ##dr## in terms of ##dz## before you integrate it. The resulting integral is simple. I make the answer ##16 \pi k## where ##k## is the area density.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted