Moment of inertia about the origin for the lamina

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the moment of inertia about the origin for a lamina with the surface of a sphere equation and a given constant density. The proposed answer is 16pi (k), but there are some errors in the working. The suggested method of integration over circular bands is recommended instead. The final answer is 16pi k.
fonseh

Homework Statement

find the moment of inertia about the origin for the lamina which the surface of sphere (x^2) + (y^2) +(z^2) = 9 . z>2 . Given that density is a constant . Here's my wroking

The ans is 16pi (k) , but my ans is different , is my ans wrong ?
If so , which part is wrong ?
I have checked thru the working many times, yet , still can't find the error

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• DSC_0038.JPG
    DSC_0038.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 497
Physics news on Phys.org
Note that a moment of inertia is about an axis, not a point. In this case I assume you meant the z axis.

I haven't worked right through your answer, and it contains some errors, for example the expression for ##z## is missing a square root, which however seems to have been assumed below. You then appear to have done a substitution which doesn't seem necessary and makes it more complicated.

I would do this question by integrating over circular bands of constant ##z##, where the mass of each band is ##2 \pi r## times its width which is ##\sqrt{dz^2 + dr^2}## where obviously you need to express ##dr## in terms of ##dz## before you integrate it. The resulting integral is simple. I make the answer ##16 \pi k## where ##k## is the area density.

1. What is the Moment of Inertia about the origin for a lamina?

The Moment of Inertia about the origin for a lamina is a measure of the resistance of the lamina to changes in its rotational motion. It is a property that depends on the mass and distribution of the mass of the lamina about the origin.

2. How is the Moment of Inertia about the origin for a lamina calculated?

The Moment of Inertia about the origin for a lamina is calculated by integrating the squared distance from each infinitesimal mass element to the origin, multiplied by the mass of the element. This integral is summed over the entire lamina to get the total Moment of Inertia.

3. What are the units of Moment of Inertia about the origin for a lamina?

The units of Moment of Inertia about the origin for a lamina are kg*m2. This is because it is a measure of the distribution of mass about the origin, and both mass and distance are involved in the calculation.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect the Moment of Inertia about the origin for a lamina?

The distribution of mass greatly affects the Moment of Inertia about the origin for a lamina. A lamina with most of its mass located far from the origin will have a larger Moment of Inertia compared to a lamina with the same total mass but with the mass distributed closer to the origin.

5. What is the significance of the Moment of Inertia about the origin for a lamina?

The Moment of Inertia about the origin for a lamina is an important property in rotational dynamics. It is used to calculate the angular momentum and the rotational kinetic energy of a lamina. It also plays a crucial role in determining the stability and behavior of rotating objects.