1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia of a hollow cone about its base

1. Nov 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the moment of inertia of a hollow cone of mass M, radius R, and height h about its base is ##\frac{1}{4}M(R^2+2h^2)##

2. Relevant equations
    ##I=\int r^2dm##
    where r is the perpendicular distance from the axis

Surface Area of a cone ##= \pi R (R^2+h^2)^{1/2}##

3. The attempt at a solution

Mass density ##\sigma = \frac{M}{SA} = \frac{M}{\pi R(R^2+h^2)^{1/2}}##

Now ##I = \int r^2dm = \int r^2\sigma dA = \sigma \int r^2dA##
    MOI.png

Now the distance from its base is given by ##r = r(x) = h(1-x/R)## and from the image I made it appears the area element is simply ##dA = 2\pi xds##, and ##ds = \sqrt{dx^2+dy^2} = \sqrt{1+y'(x)^2}dx##. Trivially ##y'(x)^2 = (h/R)^2## giving ##dA = 2\pi x \sqrt{1+(h/R)^2}dx## and $$I = \sigma \int r^2dA =\sigma \int_0^R h^2\left(1-\frac{x}{R}\right)^22\pi x \sqrt{1+\left(\frac{h}{R}\right)^2}dx \\ I = 2\pi\sigma h^2\sqrt{1+\left(\frac{h}{R}\right)^2}\int_0^R \left(1-\frac{x}{R}\right)^2 xdx$$

which clearly isn't going to give the answer since there's no way ##\sqrt{1+(h/R)^2}## will be cancelled

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You sure ? What about the integral to calculate ##\sigma## ?

4. Nov 21, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Formulas for surface area are poorly presented on the web, and some of them seem wrong. The more credible sources give
    $$\text{SA} = \pi R \left( R + \sqrt{R^2+h^2} \right), $$
    but one should make absolutely sure by calculating the relevant integral.

5. Nov 21, 2016 #4
    Whoops, I forgot to mention it's an open ended cone. I.e. There is no base portion ##pi R^2##

6. Nov 21, 2016 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Basically you have to calculate $$\int r^2 dm\over \int dm $$

7. Nov 21, 2016 #6
    Could you elaborate on why I need to calculate this quantity when moment of inertia is given by ##I = \int r^2 dm##?

8. Nov 21, 2016 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it will cancel because it appears as well in the denominator of your equation for ##\sigma##.

9. Nov 21, 2016 #8
    Hmm, evaluating that integral gives ##I= Mh^2/6## which unfortunately isn't the correct answer

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted