Moment of inertia, double integral

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Feodalherren
Messages
604
Reaction score
6

Homework Statement


Untitled.png



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


For part B, why is he using the formula for the moment of inertia about the y-axis? Why isn't he using the formula for the moment of inertia about the origin?

http://www.math24.net/physical-applications-of-double-integrals.html

The formula that I'm referring to is the "polar moment of inertia" in this list.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
We can't read any problem statement and relevant equations in you post.
What's the question?

Note that a moment of inertia is always defined with respect to an axis (of rotation).
There is nothing like a moment of inertia about a point like the origin.
 
You can't see the picture? I can see it :/.

The formulas are in the link.
I don't know what to tell you. The problem is asking for moment of inertia about the origin. The list of integrals also has a formula for "polar moment of inertia".