Moment of Inertia and Angular Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a spinning student holding a textbook at a certain distance with a given angular velocity and mass moment of inertia. The solution involves using conservation of angular momentum to find the final angular velocity.
primeboss

Homework Statement

A student hold a 2.0 kg textbook to their chest as they spin at an angular velocity of 6 rad/sec. Assuming the mass moment of inertia of the student to be 1.4 kgm^2, what is the angular velocity if the student hold the book 0.7 meters away

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know where to start. i can find a correlation with angular velocity and moment of inertia. Also do i use energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi primeboss! welcome to pf! :smile:

momentum and angular momentum are always conserved :wink:

Thanks for the reply, but i am still confused into how to approach the problem

uhh? :redface: use conservation of angular momentum …

what do you get?​

"I don't see how i can find the intial momentum of inertia, since i do not know the radius but only the mass"

edit:NEVERMIND i got it. Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia, also known as rotational inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on an object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass.

2. How is moment of inertia different from mass?

Moment of inertia is a property of an object that describes its distribution of mass, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. They are related, but not the same concept.

3. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around an axis. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

4. How are moment of inertia and angular velocity related?

Moment of inertia and angular velocity are related by the equation I = m*r^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation. This means that an object with a larger moment of inertia will require more torque to achieve the same angular velocity as an object with a smaller moment of inertia.

5. How can I calculate moment of inertia for complex shapes?

There are specific formulas for calculating moment of inertia for common shapes, such as cylinders, spheres, and rectangular prisms. For more complex shapes, the parallel axis theorem can be used to calculate the moment of inertia about a specific axis by adding the moment of inertia about a parallel axis and the product of the mass and the square of the distance between the axes.