1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Application of integrals to find moment Inertia

1. Mar 10, 2017 #1
    I need to make a project that integrates physics with math, involving the use of integrals to find moment inertia of areas. The theory could be read here :http://www.intmath.com/applications-integration/6-moments-inertia.php

I need to make an object that applies the theory above. Can anybody recommend me what should I make?

*note : I have a few idea in mind like making small windmill or fan blades that rotate, but are they appropriate? Cause I think the theory only applies to 2D objects...

*another note : If it's too much hassle, what project do you think is simple that involves the application of integrals in physics? Thank you very much in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2017 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For anything that is symmetric above with below a plane will be like you concentrated all the mass that has coordinates x, y into the xy plane, maybe that extends your possibilities.

4. Mar 10, 2017 #3
    I'm sorry but I kinda do not understand... can you please elaborate? Sorry for the trouble.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted