Moment of inertia for Concave Polygon

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
SaadAhmad
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Moment of inertia for Concave Polygon

While working on a simulation I ran into this problem. I'm trying to calculate the moment of inertia for a concave polygon. The polygon is made of N vertices (Also the edges are straight lines). I've done a bit of researching however I've only found resources for convex polygons.

I'm thinking of triangulating the polygon and then going from there, but I don't know how to actually use it.

I will be grateful for any help on a general way of calculating the moment of inertia for a concave polygon


Saad
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you triangulate the polygon, can't you just sum the moments of the triangles? In the case of simple polygons you can also use the trick of trying to decompose it into two convex polygons, where one is the place where material is, and the other is the place where it isn't and add them with opposite signs.
 
Ah yes, I was over thinking it. Thanks for your help